Brake Booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That pedal return is normal and is likely a little slower because it is new. That is not slow. It is fine. That hiss you hear is the operation inside the booster and as long as there is no vacuum leak effecting the engine idle, I would not worry about it. Drive it like you stole it.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brakes drag for a second or two when I'm driving and do that.
It's not right.

And if I drive it like I stole it I'll crash it cause the brakes aren't that hot

Someone else is telling me they have no air noise when they push the pedal?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So you are saying that you can feel the brakes drag after you release the pedal wile driving, is that correct? How do you feel that and what are you feeling to say that? It could be a problem with calipers no freeing up after pedal pressure is released or shoes having weak return springs or a groove in the show backing plates not allowing free movement of the shoes or even filthy backing plate surfaces with no brake lube where the shoes make contact. I know you did master cylinder recently and now the brake booster but I don't remember you saying anything about pads or shoes replacement and I am not gonna go searching back through all this. Let me know. But that pedal return is normal. You may not think so but I have been around lots of vehicles over mt almost 40 years vehicle experience and that looks normal. Others here can chime in and I will accept their opinion if they feel am wrong. I have only known one perfect person and his name is Jesus.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That may be the same vehicle as you have or not. The booster has a large spring inside of it to return the pedal and they are not the same for every vehicle and I actually don't see a difference in the return speed of both videos.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually just drove my old 97 i sold today as they had a question about it. the pedal pops up quickly and there's no sound

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this sound really normal? This is after the engine is switched off so you can hear it while it still has some vacuum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you are saying that you can feel the brakes drag after you release the pedal wile driving, is that correct? How do you feel that and what are you feeling to say that?
Yes. I can feel it because the truck continues braking after i let off the pedal.

It could be all sorts of things but I just put this brake booster on and it's never done it before.

I had zero experience with these things. This is the first time I changed one or had anything to do with one. I'm pretty sure it's not right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep