Bought core block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
You can probably buy a new crank with the right reluctor wheel from Summit. I believe there is also a company that makes a converter box for the signals to convert them to the newer standard. Might be worth a Google search to see it you can find such a beast if needed.
Seeing that I need a convertor ill be using this engine in another car and look for a 07+ 6.0.. When purchasing this 5.3 block I totally forgot about the relocations of the sensors. But it my tahoe engine fails I will sure keep this in mind.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
Wait until the machine shop takes it apart. I recently tore down my LQ4 with 262k miles for a refresh and the crank journals looked excellent. Should have taken a photo. I didn't even bother "mic"-ing it.

The LS cranks are very robust and made from nodular iron (also called ductile iron). Folks push 800-1,000 HP through them on highly modified engines with stock bottom ends. If the journals look good, there's absolutely no reason to replace it in my opinion. Get the reluctor wheel swapped by the machine shop. I think my local shop charges $100 for this plus the part.

IIRC, the Summit Racing LS cranks are turned down. Maybe 10 thou or something like that?

@Geotrash I think the Lingenfelter converter box converts 58X to 24X, but not the other way around. But OP should look into that to confirm...
Most of the journals looked pretty good but there was one in question where I could feel just a slight roughness running my finger across it. And the area on the rear of the crankshaft where the rear main seal goes around is questionable.

I forgot about Summit guys I havnt used that site since a teen but whoa those crankshaft prices are high.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the journals looked pretty good but there was one in question where I could feel just a slight roughness running my finger across it. And the area on the rear of the crankshaft where the rear main seal goes around is questionable.

I forgot about Summit guys I havnt used that site since a teen but whoa those crankshaft prices are high.
Rely on the machine shop for guidance on this then. Maybe they can polish that journal or tell you a nearby place that can. They'll be able to tell you if polishing or turning will be required.

My machine shop referred me to a small (I mean SMALL, one-man shop near my house) that polishes cranks for a 5.3 stock crank I bought for a 6.0 build. The guy charged me $50 and was ready the next day.

BTW, do you have a budget for this build? It's a stock or stock-ish build, correct? Engine building/rebuilding is expensive in general. Throwing aftermarket parts into the mix blows budgets out of the water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
I dropped the block and crank off at the machine shop. While I was there one of the guys checked it with a mic. Said the crankshaft is good and will take standard bearings but just needs to be polished. No freeze plugs the screw ins should be fine. So the shop is doing cam bearings and checking piston bores.

At the moment I have no budget I may just go back stock depending on how expensive it gets. And im pretty sure I will need a tune if i change cam and pistons.

Im still in the process of locating engine wiring harness and ecm or going with one of the aftermarket control boxes

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667