Bose factory amp - battery drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhilario72

Reaction score
I bought a used 2003 Yukon XL Denali. The amp fuse was removed by the previous owner. I installed a new one and everything worked. I try to start the car after a week and the battery was dead. With a charged battery, I checked the mV readings on every fuse under the hood and found a 1.7 mV draw on the fuse test points for the amp. From the online look-up table that's about 800 mA for the 30 Amp fuse.

My question is can I replace the Bose factory amp with another amp directly. That's all I want to do, I don't want to replace the radio or speakers.

Thanks!
Joe

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure. Being a Denali you probably have RPO code Y91, which denotes the “luxury” amp vs the “premium” found in regular Yukons and tahoe/burb. Plenty to be found on eBay. I got one from a member here and a backup from eBay.

Note: if the amp didn’t come out of a Denali XL or Escalade ESV, you might potentially have to program it with a Tech2 - same amp was found in trucks and short and long wheelbase SUV. The programming needs to match what you’re putting it in since it affects the sound stage imaging.

OP
OP
J

jhilario72

Reaction score
Sure. Being a Denali you probably have RPO code Y91, which denotes the “luxury” amp vs the “premium” found in regular Yukons and tahoe/burb. Plenty to be found on eBay. I got one from a member here and a backup from eBay.

Note: if the amp didn’t come out of a Denali XL or Escalade ESV, you might potentially have to program it with a Tech2 - same amp was found in trucks and short and long wheelbase SUV. The programming needs to match what you’re putting it in since it affects the sound stage imaging.
Can I put in a non-Bose amp? I'm only asking because I'm leaving for a trip and wanted to have sound, so not sure I can get a used replacement in time. Thanks for the above info! I'll start looking on ebay as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar