Bored buying used vehicles nonsense

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to find “a guy” that will pass the vehicle. Which can be hard to find. Even my guy that works with me sometimes will peel the tint off my wife’s headlights every year.. rules are rules I suppose

Just pisses me off because you always see unsafe jalopy's running the streets you know damn we'll count pass inspection and we play by the rules and especially those of us who do our own work on our cars to ease the pain come inspection time and still get our balls busted.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pisses me off because you always see unsafe jalopy's running the streets you know damn we'll count pass inspection and we play by the rules and especially those of us who do our own work on our cars to ease the pain come inspection time and still get our balls busted.
Agreed. Likely fake stickers or their guy really doesn’t give a shit

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The inspections are meant, according to the state, to keep safe rigs on the roads and unsafe rigs off the roads and to keep air clean. It is a way to line pockets of the state and also the shops and parts stores with lobbyists. The inspections do accomplish good things as well but the system is full of holes and can be worked by anyone with a law breaking mind.

I hated doing them because of that and only wanted to find and repair legitimate problems.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The inspections are meant, according to the state, to keep safe rigs on the roads and unsafe rigs off the roads and to keep air clean. It is a way to line pockets of the state and also the shops and parts stores with lobbyists. The inspections do accomplish good things as well but the system is full of holes and can be worked by anyone with a law breaking mind.

I hated doing them because of that and only wanted to find and repair legitimate problems.

I think it goes both ways. Majority of drivers have no clue what they’re driving and need this type of guidance to keep them and others on the road safe. And car enthusiasts like us just hate being told what to do hahah

an old friend of mine had a car from lowa. Her father gave it to her and kept paying insurance so it was still Iowa registered... never had a sticker on the windshield ever.. I guess they don’t inspect?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I think it goes both ways. Majority of drivers have no clue what they’re driving and need this type of guidance to keep them and others on the road safe. And car enthusiasts like us just hate being told what to do hahah

an old friend of mine had a car from lowa. Her father gave it to her and kept paying insurance so it was still Iowa registered... never had a sticker on the windshield ever.. I guess they don’t inspect?
If she was driving an Iowa registered car in Pa without an inspection sticker, how would Pa know that it's supposed to have one? They haven't a clue. And even if they did know, I don't think they could even give her a ticket. That's like a Jersey cop giving a ticket to a Pa driver for only having 1 license plate.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nope. No inspections in Iowa. They did away with them back in the mid-to-late 70’s.

Know a few folks that do that. My niece is driving a 2000 odyssey out in Colorado with Iowa plates for that reason. Would never pass Colorado’s inspection.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score

got to find those back street shops that never really have cars outside waiting to be worked on but seem to get alot of traffic. its also suprisingly easy to find people selling the inspection stickers here in pa. golden rule for most drivers in pa who aren't driving brand new cars is never go to the chain shops. they will get you every time. ive even had the firestone here in stroudsburg fail my car for numerous steering components. wanted more than the car was worth to fix it. when they pulled that they neglected to check the work history on the car. not even a week prior i replaced alot of front end parts and my alignment was WAAAYYY off and they were the only ones willing to get my car right in. they completed the alignment without any comments. so 5 days later when i brought it back for inspection and they gave me the report it was priceless. i asked the clerk if she could pull up my work history so she did. looked like she seen a ghost and she just turned and stared at me for a few seconds with fear on her face. blah blah back and forth and they insisted i would still be paying for the failed inspection or they wouldn't give my key back. i told them i wasn't paying they could keep the key i have a spare and id be calling corporate and reporting them. i left with some angry sign language got in my uninspected car and left never heard from them. i did follow through on the worthless threat i doubt anything came of it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope. No inspections in Iowa. They did away with them back in the mid-to-late 70’s.

Know a few folks that do that. My niece is driving a 2000 odyssey out in Colorado with Iowa plates for that reason. Would never pass Colorado’s inspection.

To be clear, all we have are emissions inspections along the Front Range. No "safety" inspections in Colorado.

Lots of people register their cars in counties that don't require emissions testiing. They would have to have a valid address in that county to use, maybe a second home or the home of a friend.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
got to find those back street shops that never really have cars outside waiting to be worked on but seem to get alot of traffic. its also suprisingly easy to find people selling the inspection stickers here in pa. golden rule for most drivers in pa who aren't driving brand new cars is never go to the chain shops. they will get you every time. ive even had the firestone here in stroudsburg fail my car for numerous steering components. wanted more than the car was worth to fix it. when they pulled that they neglected to check the work history on the car. not even a week prior i replaced alot of front end parts and my alignment was WAAAYYY off and they were the only ones willing to get my car right in. they completed the alignment without any comments. so 5 days later when i brought it back for inspection and they gave me the report it was priceless. i asked the clerk if she could pull up my work history so she did. looked like she seen a ghost and she just turned and stared at me for a few seconds with fear on her face. blah blah back and forth and they insisted i would still be paying for the failed inspection or they wouldn't give my key back. i told them i wasn't paying they could keep the key i have a spare and id be calling corporate and reporting them. i left with some angry sign language got in my uninspected car and left never heard from them. i did follow through on the worthless threat i doubt anything came of it.
I lived in E Burg. I got tired of the bs real quick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh