Black Bear Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lumpo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys im planning on getting the Black Bear tune in the very near future but i have a couple questions. First is the tow/haul with performance settings option did anyone choose this if so how much of a difference over normal mode does it make? I emailed him to see if he could just put these settings in regular mode and leave the tow/haul alone just in case i tow something heavy in the future but im still waiting on that email. I think i decided on getting it tuned for premium gas on standard shift points with 75% torque management gone. Any input on this ?

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys im planning on getting the Black Bear tune in the very near future but i have a couple questions. First is the tow/haul with performance settings option did anyone choose this if so how much of a difference over normal mode does it make? I emailed him to see if he could just put these settings in regular mode and leave the tow/haul alone just in case i tow something heavy in the future but im still waiting on that email. I think i decided on getting it tuned for premium gas on standard shift points with 75% torque management gone. Any input on this ?

:welcome: to the board

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pretty much the same tune I got, although IIRC he removed more like 80-85% of the TM. I chose that becasue I'm at altitude though, so it helps make the truck scoot a little easier up here with the lower O2 levels. I've been very happy with it.

With tow/haul on, all of the TM is removed and shifts are as hard as possible. I'm fairly confidant that at sea level with t/h on, I could probably chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift...but I'm too much of a pansy to try it since I don't wanna dick anything up. Shifts under normal conditions are dramatically firmed up, even more so with the vette servo installed. Very smooth under normal throttle, and noticably firmer and faster under heavy/full throttle.

You will love it. Jenna and Justin are top notch, and will take the time to answer any questions you might have about it.

OP
OP
L

Lumpo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright cool i know i want to keep tow/haul alone just incase i need to tow something heavy but i would like the more responsive kickdowns and downshifts if possible in regular mode and still keep 75% torque management but im still waiting on a response from that email. What is this Vette Servo your talking about and what does it do?

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just replace your 1-2 servo with one out of a C5 corvette...it's like a $20 part. It firms up the 1-2 shift pretty noticably all by itself. If you end up doing that, you'll want to let justin know so he can tune it into the trans programming.

OP
OP
L

Lumpo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok cool well i just got a response from black bear and they said they could give me improved kick down and downshifts in regular mode so i guess ill be doing that. Yuke2K how do you like your tow/hauls downshifts are they much better than with tow/haul off? How much higher did he raise your shifts? If you were to do it again would you set yours up like i am or would you leave it be just in tow/haul mode you get the raised shiftpoints and more responsive kickdowns?

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest, Justin did a pretty aggressive tune for me. The shifts are controlled by the throttle input. The heavier the push, the firmer the shifts. The only way I can tell any difference between tow/haul and regular is when I wind it up at WOT, and doing that pretty much scares the shit out of me, just for fear of screwing something up. I've got 116K on the truck now, and it runs great. Trans, t-case, diffs...no problems. I hate tempting fate by pushing it. This ***** has gotta last me a while longer, and my warranty is JUST about to expire.

...just watch my transmission grenade a month after it lapses.

OP
OP
L

Lumpo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea im in the same boat your in where I dont want to break anything which is why im keeping it at 75% torque management instead of removing it. I think it would be nice to get the more responsive kick downs but im still unsure if i want him to raise my shift points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo