Big Red - 2000 Tahoe Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thank you, Mods, for moving my thread!

Figured this was more appropriate as a build thread since that's what the goal is. It'll be a slow build, but it's not staying stock, that's for sure.

Plans (not necessarily in order):

-Re-upholster the headliner
-Clean up the interior to see how badly stained it is. Re-finish, paint, dye, or whatever from there
-Flowmaster single in / dual out muffler (already have)
-Replace front bumper
-Replace headlight & turn signal housings
-Replace tail light housings
-Esky vent caps
-Denali center console swap
-HD hood/grille swap
-Dent repair
-Paint (oh god does it need the paint)
-2" lift/leveling kit
-18" wheels
-33" tires (Just so we're clear - the wife wants the lift and tires. I'd rather do a 2" drop and 20s or 22s, but this is her DD, so well... happy wife, happy life.)

Maybes:
-Denali cluster swap
-FIPK - hoping to find a good deal on a used Volant, AirRaid, or AEM
-Power programmer
-I'd like to do a cam, but I don't know if I want that much power under my wife's foot - especially with the kids in tow.

Overall goal is just a decent-looking family vehicle. Not a show-stopper, but not run down and neglected looking like it is now. I love custom rides and I really love this Chevy. Definitely my favorite that I've owned so far.

Any tips or advice is welcome. Not the first vehicle I've owned and modified, but it's my first LS-based.
Sounds like a good/doable to do list. Just take your time and have fun. Just curious--have you tried claying, buffing etc to the paint?

OP
OP
ArcticYukon

ArcticYukon

The White Yuke has been superseded by a Red Hoe
Reaction score
I wish that's all it needed. The clear coat is coming off and, in some spots, the paint has worn down to primer - bare metal in a couple spots. This paint was seriously neglected and I'm surprised the interior isn't in worse shape just based on that.

If just the clearcoat had come off, I could just have it re-cleared.... but nope - gonna have to repaint the whole damn thing.

I'll try to remember get some better pics of it up.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I wish that's all it needed. The clear coat is coming off and, in some spots, the paint has worn down to primer - bare metal in a couple spots. This paint was seriously neglected and I'm surprised the interior isn't in worse shape just based on that.

If just the clearcoat had come off, I could just have it re-cleared.... but nope - gonna have to repaint the whole damn thing.

I'll try to remember get some better pics of it up.
Ahhh, I see. That's some serious neglect. Any other exterior damage? Besides the dings. Rust?

OP
OP
ArcticYukon

ArcticYukon

Reaction score
Nope. Lucked out on that one. It was originally a Florida truck, then taken to Georgia and re-titled, then brought back here. No rust belt for this truck, just salty florida air - which isn't too terrible on vehicles as long as you don't leave bare metal bare.

The body is straight other than the few little dents and dings.

I'm still trying to figure out the gap between the hood and the grille though.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Nope. Lucked out on that one. It was originally a Florida truck, then taken to Georgia and re-titled, then brought back here. No rust belt for this truck, just salty florida air - which isn't too terrible on vehicles as long as you don't leave bare metal bare.

The body is straight other than the few little dents and dings.

I'm still trying to figure out the gap between the hood and the grille though.
Did you try adjusting the rubber bumpers under the hood? They might be too high, pushing the hood up a little.

OP
OP
ArcticYukon

ArcticYukon

Reaction score
Did you try adjusting the rubber bumpers under the hood? They might be too high, pushing the hood up a little.

I haven't, but the hood is actually sitting slightly lower than the fenders already.

OP
OP
ArcticYukon

ArcticYukon

Reaction score
Didn't get a chance to mess with the hood this weekend, unfortunately. But I think @Galante is spot on with that suggestion.

Gassed her up this past friday and I used my gas buddy card for the first time. Took a pic to set up the "my vehicles" feature in the app, so I figured I'd upload it for all to see!

20180601_064045.jpg

OP
OP
ArcticYukon

ArcticYukon

Reaction score
Well, I tried the hood latch. Moved it down maybe a millimeter or two, but not enough to make it noticeable.

What I did notice in the process, though, was that the headlights were pointed at the sky and cross-eyed. I adjusted the aim so that the housings were flush with the grille on both axis and brought the truck and tool with me tonight so I could aim them when it's dark out.

The aim is MUCH better and now the gap is more even. I think the reason it looked so bad was because the headlight housings were practically touching the hood because of how far up they were pointing. There's still a gap big enough to fit my fingers in, but it's more consistent all the way across now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne