Best quiet performance muffler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBRUCE312

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The wife has a 2012 Denali 6.2l. I already deleted the 3rd cat and resonator and installed a cold air intake. It sounds good when u really get on it and cold start. U can barely hear it while driving and thats the way she likes it. I want to put a performance muffler on it for better hp and gas milage. But I don't wanna hear any shit because the exhaust is loud. Any ideas? I just want the muffler. Not a $900 cat back. The GM Borla catbacks that we install at work sound perfect, but u can't get just the muffler.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vibrant ultra quiet resonator in front of a large magnaflow muffler will be pretty affordable and quiet.

I added a Corsa Touring to my 5.3 with headers and it was too loud. Adding the ultra quiet resonator in front of the muffler quieted it way down and completely smoothed the sound out.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vibrant ultra quiets are awesome. Flopro also makes giant quiet mufflers. I have one on my Tahoe and it's almost stock quiet even with long tube headers.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vibrant ultra quiets are awesome. Flopro also makes giant quiet mufflers. I have one on my Tahoe and it's almost stock quiet even with long tube headers.

I was honestly surprised how much of a massive difference it made. You can put almost any muffler behind it and it will sound good.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the money, I'm extremely pleased with AP Exhaust Xlerator series mufflers. Essentially identical to Magnaflow, just without "MF" embossed in the case and a fraction of the price. What's the exhaust pipe diameter on the Denali- 3.5"? Most of AP's mufflers are up to 3", but they have a 4" with a 24" case that should give you what you're looking for: https://www.amazon.com/AP-Exhaust-Products-XS2772-Muffler/dp/B004A5L9PG

At only $53, the two 3.5" to 4" adapters and the resonator (if you want it) would still have you under the cost of just the Magnaflow muffler.

DRKN57

Reaction score
The wife has a 2012 Denali 6.2l. I already deleted the 3rd cat and resonator and installed a cold air intake. It sounds good when u really get on it and cold start. U can barely hear it while driving and thats the way she likes it. I want to put a performance muffler on it for better hp and gas milage. But I don't wanna hear any shit because the exhaust is loud. Any ideas? I just want the muffler. Not a $900 cat back. The GM Borla catbacks that we install at work sound perfect, but u can't get just the muffler.
Can’t help you with your question, but since you work in the field, how does the GM Borla sound on 5.3’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I will add is changing the muffler won't make a noticeable change in the power/mpg. You may just wanna leave it alone.

Adding supercharger or turbo? Then it becomes a restriction.

OP
OP
TBRUCE312

TBRUCE312

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thats what I'm looking for. My wife doesn't want any noise but I think I can get away with just a little growl lol. Its also our travel vehicle. So I'm trying to squeeze as much miles per gallon out if it as possible.