Belltech 1019 2/4 drop… rear end is high, too high??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dani_yellz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all. I did some searching and reading but I’m not seeing what I’m dealing with. So, sorry if this is a repeat.

2016 Tahoe LT 90k miles

Finally got around to lowering, my bf got it for me for Christmas.

Did a Free travel mod, used belltech 1019 lowering kit (2/4), djm sway bar links. Also shorter bump stops.

The rear looks high. There’s a 2 inch difference between the front and rear. What could it be? It’s not looking how I wanted at all. The rear looks the same height as when it started?

Wanted a more low and level look. I’m seeing people with their trucks looking much better.

Tire isn’t straight and a bit dirty but you’ll see what I’m talking about.

44FB9C99-89C7-4904-8A59-6E1F1420E967.jpeg

This is what it looked like before, a better picture.

6420A11E-3BC1-4027-9E29-7098B3C396B8.jpeg

Is there a fix? Did we miss something??

Wolfpack79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it mag ride? I’m assuming so since you used the 1019 kit. Did you adjust the mag ride rods?

Wolfpack79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, he says he did. To 3 inches. That’s what the instructions say. Should they be shorter?
Most of what I’ve read the rods should be closer to 2.75” not sure that’ll get you dropped enough though. Maybe some others will chime in. I have the same kit but I haven’t put it on yet so I don’t want to misspeak

OP
OP
D

dani_yellz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Most of what I’ve read the rods should be closer to 2.75” not sure that’ll get you dropped enough though. Maybe some others will chime in. I have the same kit but I haven’t put it on yet so I don’t want to misspeak
Thanks hopefully they do!

I don’t understand why it’s not lower

OP
OP
D

dani_yellz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It doesn’t make sense. It looks like the back didn’t drop at all
That’s what we are confused about. Our neighbor said it looks like it didn’t drop at all.

I think we have just looked at it a lot, and we didn’t measure the distance before, because why would we do that? Lol. …but really, he is mechanically inclined.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3” Is going to be way too long for how much you want to drop the rear.

Did the kit come with new rear auto ride sensor rods? If it did not you can make some out of 3” long 10-24 machine screws. Just cut the head off the screws and I would recommend using stainless steel ones.

Regardless of the lowering kit you used you will need shorter rear auto ride sensor rods to achieve anything closer to a 4” rear drop.

Post #4 of this thread here has more details on the kit I used and how my Yukon XL Denali sits:

My ‘15 Yukon XL is not even a full 3” drop in the rear and my rods are about 1-1/2” in length. This is when measuring the length of exposed rod between the sensor connections.

Here’s a pic of my rear auto ride sensor rods:
AD6672EC-0C62-495D-B7C0-A0CBC9F1B2C9.jpeg

Since you are going for closer to 4” rear drop you may end up with rods that are closer to 1” in length or shorter?

It doesn’t take much adjustment in rod length to change the ride height. A general rule of thumb is for every 1/8" change in sensor rod length it changes the ride height by 3/4".

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dani_yellz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
3” Is going to be way too long for how much you want to drop the rear.

Did the kit come with new rear auto ride sensor rods? If it did not you can make some out of 3” long 10-24 machine screws. Just cut the head off the screws and I would recommend using stainless steel ones.

Regardless of the lowering kit you used you will need shorter rear auto ride sensor rods to achieve anything closer to a 4” rear drop.

Post #4 of this thread here has more details on the kit I used and how my Yukon XL Denali sits:

My ‘15 Yukon XL is not even a full 3” drop in the rear and my rods are about 1-1/2” in length. This is when measuring the length of exposed rod between the sensor connections.

Here’s a pic of my rear auto ride sensor rods:
View attachment 361492

Since you are going for closer to 4” rear drop you may end up with rods that are closer to 1” in length or shorter?

It doesn’t take much adjustment in rod length to change the ride height. A general rule of thumb is for every 1/8" change in sensor rod length it changes the ride height by 3/4".

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much. This definitely does help! I am going to show to the bf so he can do it.

Also I’m kind of miffed that the belltech instructions say to put it at 3inches. But oh well, so relieved to have found what the problem is.

Last edited:

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just quickly pull the air lines off the rear shocks and see where the rear of the vehicle actually sits without the air shocks in play. At that point, if the rear is still sitting too high then you know its beyond just a sensor rod issue…at that point there would be an issue with the actual springs. The truck should sit “level” (or where you want it) WITHOUT the air shocks. They are there just for height adjustment when there is a heavy load weighing it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins