BDS lift travel numbers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see they have a 4 inch and a 6 inch lift option. Including ones now for mrc and autoride.

does anyone know what their travel numbers are with these lifts?

they only advertise lift amounts.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I can’t give you a specific number, but I’ve talked with their tech support and know some things. They’re very helpful, so give them a call or email if this is insufficient.

The travel remains the same as stock in the front. It’s the stock strut unless you buy the coilover upgrade.

The 4” kit just moves everything down 4”, so the frame is 4” further from the ground and the CV axles at ~level, so approximately equal travel up and down.

The 6” kit the only change is a taller strut spacer. Effectively a 4” kit combined with a 2” stretch as you get in a leveling kit. So your CV will be angled down to the hub. You’ll have less down travel and more up travel from the static position.

All the above is with respect to the front, I didn’t inquire about the rear.

For my own education I’ve done some limited tests of articulation with the front sway bar disconnected, and I only get 2” of downward travel and about the same upward on my SSV.

My takeaway from all that is the 4” kit likely has a better range of motion to absorb both compression and extension on the road or trail. I’d be very interested to hear any other information on this topic.

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang. I got so excited when I saw the rear spring. And then a little less excited when I saw it was for the 6 inch kit.
I wish they had a spring for the 4 inch kit.
Then I could run a silverado long travel kit from someone one, and then their rear with a proper shock.

or really to be honest if I could find a rear coil that only lifted 2 inches would be ideal. Because then the front would come up 3 inches and I could run that dirt kings, camburg etc etc etc mid travel or long travel

I don’t want as much lift as I want added travel and better shocks.

otherwise it’s just going to be an Arnott replacement .... or sell...

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Every lift instruction I have read -which is a bunch lately- the rear suspension they are adding bump stop extensions. So you're getting more height but probably no more travel in the rear, whether it's a spacer or a new coil.

In a shorter lift, the RC 5" and Skyjacker 4" use new rear coils instead of spacers. But per above, I don't think that gives any more travel.

In your position I'd talk to the people doing those mid / long travel front kits and feel them out on their thoughts for the rear. As far as I have been able to determine, you're on your own to build a hybrid lift for your wants. I have not found any available off the shelf kit for the SUV's that offers more travel.

I think it's feasible to use a 4" coil in the rear; measure your upper and lower desired axle positions, and get a shock for that length of travel. Then modify the bumpstop if necessary with some custom fabrication. I have done that on Jeeps. The fly in that ointment is the rubber bushings in the control arms don't respond well to increased angles of articulation and wear prematurely. BTDT. Fabtech offers a 6" kit with their own rear control arms. Maybe they have joints designed to eliminate that weakness, I don't know the construction details.

Good luck on your exploration. Keep us posted on what you find out. I'd like to have a four wheel mid travel installation myself.

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the front we can run a silverado kit.

for the rear best I’ve found is an 8 inch travel shock, adjustable bar, and a set of the z71 suburban/ border patrol springs. Those are “supposed” to lift the Denali XL one inch.

the oem rear mrc shock is 7.xx inch travel shock. I have the open and closed measurements somewhere.

but I don’t have the fronts.

technically one could pull the rear suspension apart, and measure the bushings to be replaced with a stiffer poly or even go Derlin.

a lot of measuring and pressing. But any adjustable pan hard bar should come with stiffer bearings or a heim and misalignment option, I’d wager.

but if I could lift the rear an inch or two.... be able to run a proper 2.5 or 3x 8 inch shock out back with a comp adjuster...

and then in the front, a 3.0 coilover with an Internal bypass...

I think it would survive any heat these big mamma jamma’s could generate on washboards etc.

(I just watched a test of a Toyota Tacoma with the upgraded bilsteins pop... yes pop both rear and one front shock on a basic dirt road. They were not even going very fast.)
My fear is a 2.5 will handle it, but need more frequent rebuilds, vs a 3.0 which will out ability the truck. Set and forget.
plus the 3.0’s all come with larger shafts (I just went through an issue bending shock shafts, front and rear on an ifs truck that weighs 5100lbs filled)

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
If the rear travel is 7-8”, that’s significantly more than the front I’m pretty sure. You might end up with a well balanced system doing the mid travel front with a good coilover and the best external reservoir shock you can find for the rear. With just enough rear lift to level it with the front height.

Are the mid & long travel kits for the Silverado making any travel specs available?

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4wd long travel with a custom knuckle is 14-15 inches lol.

but I think mid travel stuff is around 13

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. it seems like no matter the shock diameter...you desire to USE this rig will be beyond any shock capability with a remote resi, unless going to a 3" or larger ( then weight may even over come the 3" resi)

now, most large retail name lifts will only increase height, not travel...Carli being about the only exception. ( i say that as Camburg, Icon, and others are more limited as costs are far higher ( quality usually is too, but most wont USE the rig)

as stated, the 4 and 6" KITS are generally the same hard parts, and in this case...the 4" probably offers better ride and it KEEPS factory angles and spacing to the factory bump stops. most GM vehicle suffer from levels as the suspension is right at the stop interface.

do i think your set up is out of this world, NO, but it may need some fab work on your end to get what you want.

in my case, i want 4" for simple appearance, but i want it to work ! i will probably fab my own rear arms and T-bar. i would also prefer a replacement rear coil with internal airbag when needed. front will be standard 4" hard drop...mine is simply a driver but i dont like having issues.

my 05, 08 and 02 Ram 2500's have all benefited from either Carli or Thuren lifts...!!!!

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea. Historically I’ve used mid travel and long travel set ups. All giving longer travel and a better shock as the focus.
It’s just no one has a solution for our rear and then I saw bds had a spring for the rear. but... sooo tall.

king has a bolt in mid travel, or rather stock travel kit, stock
Height, which is something for me to consider. But I wouldn’t mind lifting the rear an inch or two in order to run a proper length shock back there and get close to 10
Inches of full droop travel, and a little more at a frame twister.

For the front, keeping it an inch under what ever the rear ended up is fine. Or even level.

but yea, the idea was a Firestone bag in the spring to keep the air leveling.

VegasDevin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking into long travel for my 07 yukon xl as well. Swapping the front clip to a sierra front clip with fiberglass flares. Probably gonna end up running camburg lt in the front but this rear suspension has me tripped up until i can get her jacked and measure full droop. I was thinking i could run coil springs with travel length that maxes out that droop. I think full droop is around 10 inches and is limited by the control arms and panhard bar. Spohn makes adjustable units for all of those parts which may come into play, or i may have to fab my own. I was looking at foa springs and shocks because their site simplicity. I was thinking of 2.5 or 3 inch shocks with around 12-14 inches of travel, then stacking say 14 inches of 150lb spring and 10 inches of 175. This is a work in progress so suspension will come probably in the next year or 2 and will consist of a couple consultations but definitely looking forward to turning this thing into something unique

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts