BDS lift travel numbers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as serious as you 2 sound...why would you not look to long arm or swing arm the rear. we all know the down sides in ride and performance of short arms.

i am looking to possibly have a set of coils made to my liking for the rear. not going to any extreme length, i just dont care for spacers.

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long Links in the rear is not realistic and at the very least would require holes into the cab for the shocks.

long arm fronts require fiberglass. A decent mid travel fit under stock width fenders.

but do tell about this rear coil spring your doing????!!!!

VegasDevin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long Links in the rear is not realistic and at the very least would require holes into the cab for the shocks.

long arm fronts require fiberglass. A decent mid travel fit under stock width fenders.

but do tell about this rear coil spring your doing????!!!!

My apology i meant coilover. But yes i think that by running a longer shock and longer spring you should theoretically be able to squeeze some lift and travel out of it but this is all theoretical until other parts of the build are complete. But yes i think by running a coil over shock in the rear you could fit a longer spring. People lift their rears 3-4 inches all the time with spacers. Doesnt that mean you should theoretically be able to do the same thing with a longer softer spring which would also allow much more movement. Paired with a proper shock i think that should all equate to a much better ride for bombing these desert trails. Once i get into it and determine max travel with stock control arms/panhard bar i might look into changing those parts up to see if i can get an extra couple inches at least. The panhard bar is one of my biggest concerns due to the way it moves under full droop conditions.

VegasDevin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
as serious as you 2 sound...why would you not look to long arm or swing arm the rear. we all know the down sides in ride and performance of short arms.

i am looking to possibly have a set of coils made to my liking for the rear. not going to any extreme length, i just dont care for spacers.

You can get cantilever kits for a silverado which sounds like the way to go but our frames are different so the silverado kits wont work. And my initial thought was to run long arms too but my concern is axle stability. Currently we have a panhard bar which holds our axle from lateral movement and that sounds like itll be the most limiting component. So to get rid of that would require a 4 link or cantilever in the rear but that would be a competely custom job.

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been doing a ton of testing work lately with spring length and spring rate for holding up vehicles... (prerunner projects) and surprisingly enough you need a stiffer spring when you go shorter than longer. With a longer spring you can actually go softer.

eg: 14x650 vs a 16x550 or 16x500

the 500/550 spring gets you the same ride height, with less preload and a smoother ride.
And you have a lot more flexibility with preload so you can raise the vehicle and still have a softer smoother ride.

Im hoping that this new spring is a bit stiffer (air level package springs are super soft) and a bit taller to give 2 inches of lift.

3 inches lift in front and 2 in the back would be ideal for handling. Stock wheel wells means you can only go so big with tires

VegasDevin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve been doing a ton of testing work lately with spring length and spring rate for holding up vehicles... (prerunner projects) and surprisingly enough you need a stiffer spring when you go shorter than longer. With a longer spring you can actually go softer.

eg: 14x650 vs a 16x550 or 16x500

the 500/550 spring gets you the same ride height, with less preload and a smoother ride.
And you have a lot more flexibility with preload so you can raise the vehicle and still have a softer smoother ride.

Im hoping that this new spring is a bit stiffer (air level package springs are super soft) and a bit taller to give 2 inches of lift.

3 inches lift in front and 2 in the back would be ideal for handling. Stock wheel wells means you can only go so big with tires

That is in fact exactly what im saying. Longer softer springs equals more free movement and with some preload you could set yourself with a little bit of lift while still allowing the axle to run into full bump hopefully. With some adjustable shocks thatd be the bees knees.
As far as the wheel wells, i already did the norcal mod(opened up a whole inch and a half) to the front and cut my bumper. Currently im on 33s but with those mods and a 3 inch level in the front im clear for 35s. However due to a front end accident the other day ill be replacing my front clip for a sierra front clip with fiberglass fenders. Once thats done, ill be doing my exhaust, then gearing up to 4.88s, and then working on suspension. I plan on running 37s, and so ill be modding the rear wheel opening the same way to make room

VegasDevin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i think the moog 81069(heavy duty) springs have a 230lb spring rate and are approximately 18 inches long when free(if my research is correct). This means they should offer about 9 or so inches of travel. So if i went with a coilover spring thats around 24 -26 inches free and with between 150-200lb spring rate, with an adjustable shock that allows 12-14 inches of travel, that should basically allow the suspension to travel freely within its physical constraints (panhard bar and control arms).
Thinking a long arm would be great in the rear but my concern would be lateral axle stability