Battery Tender with De-sulfication Built It

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing a battery tender with the additional feature to remove sulphur deposits from the plates. I believe that some on you have made this purchase, and I'm interested in what brand that you purchased, and your thoughts on how it performs.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 ctek after a harbor freight over heated a battery on me somehow. thing put out out ma but battery was very warm to the touch one random day after years of using it.

so I switched. no clue how well it knocks the plates clean, but it has a setting for it.

we use a 1000$ one from pulse tech at work. I literally had a battery die and load test said dead cell. took it to work left it on there for 2 days and it came back to load test about 400cca. wasn't great and I ended up buying a new one a few days later anyways since it was a bit slow to crank, which is kinda ******* a starter for no good reason. but I think it showed that it was able to clean the plates. I'm pretty sure they sell a cheaper single battery setup, this one will do 2 at once.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing a battery tender with the additional feature to remove sulphur deposits from the plates. I believe that some on you have made this purchase, and I'm interested in what brand that you purchased, and your thoughts on how it performs.

I have a Battery MINDer. It's only 1.5A. For the desulfation/reconditioning, the general idea is to get as strong (amps) of one as you can afford. The NOCO genius line is very popular. They have 1-, 2-, 5- and 10-amp smart maintainer/chargers. I would think that, being "smart", they'd lower the amperage on the charging and desulfating if the max power wasn't needed at all times to avoid over-charging and/or heating the battery. But, I haven't researched them to that extent.

If your battery is in great shape and you don't need lots of power, the 1.5-2A units from either Battery MINDer or NOCO would be fine. I kept mine on my Tahoe cuz it sat for 1-3 weeks at a time. I wanna put it back on the maintainer but I think I need a different one since my new battery is an AGM. Maybe I'll stick the old on my mower.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I use an Optima 1200 charger / conditioner / maintainer. There was a time when I had exclusively Optima batteries in my vehicles. They used to use higher quality lead in their batteries but the crap they started installing in them after their plant moved to Mexico was the end.

I found better results with Bosch AGM which was rebranded as Chanpion which is exclusively PepBoys. In spite of the battery quality of Optima declining, their chargers are 2nd to none.

They recover dead and desulfated batteries as well as maintain AGM & standard lead acid batteries. If the battery is dead as a door mail it needs a standard charge for 30 min. Then put it on the Optima charger for up to 36 hours to desulfate it. They pay for themselves.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Joe! I bought this one a few years ago:

VDC_1510_a__17220.1453997012.1280.1280.jpg

Our old 30 month battery had been completely discharged several times by the kids and this was used to bring it back to life. It went 48 months before replacement. If the truck is going to sit for a couple of weeks I'll hook it up.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Schumacher SC1281 after trying out several others. I landed on it because I sometimes need to charge the RV house battery quickly from the generator when we're boondocking, and the charging circuit in the house converter is crap. This charger works better than any I've ever owned and brought the RV battery back to life last year after a deep discharge. No other charger I owned at the time (Battery Tender, NOCO, Viking) would do it, but this one did.

1683706804857.png

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Schumacher SC1281 after trying out several others. I landed on it because I sometimes need to charge the RV house battery quickly from the generator when we're boondocking, and the charging circuit in the house converter is crap. This charger works better than any I've ever owned and brought the RV battery back to life last year after a deep discharge. No other charger I owned at the time (Battery Tender, NOCO, Viking) would do it, but this one did.

Still have our old metal Schumacher 2-10-50 battery charger. Ain't smart but still does the job if you keep after it.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Battery MINDer. It's only 1.5A. For the desulfation/reconditioning, the general idea is to get as strong (amps) of one as you can afford. The NOCO genius line is very popular. They have 1-, 2-, 5- and 10-amp smart maintainer/chargers. I would think that, being "smart", they'd lower the amperage on the charging and desulfating if the max power wasn't needed at all times to avoid over-charging and/or heating the battery. But, I haven't researched them to that extent.

If your battery is in great shape and you don't need lots of power, the 1.5-2A units from either Battery MINDer or NOCO would be fine. I kept mine on my Tahoe cuz it sat for 1-3 weeks at a time. I wanna put it back on the maintainer but I think I need a different one since my new battery is an AGM. Maybe I'll stick the old on my mower.
Sorry for the thread hijack, but what AGM battery are you using? I would like to use AGM in my vehicles.

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 ctek
I second this. I have owned two (first was plugged in when lightning hit the house) and they both performed great. Don't remember the specs but it was around 7 amps max current and it was a "7 step" smart charger that did de-sulfation automatically or you could force it, model was Multi US7002. Even brought a couple batteries back from the dead with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972