Battery Replacement a Professional Job?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery replacements on these vehicles are not a 5 minute job. Definitely more involved than any other vehicle I own, because of how many components hook up to it and the pieces you have to move to get it in an out.
But doable in your driveway if you know how to use a wrench.

OP
OP
B

bad_idea

Reaction score
At least you don't have a Jaguar like I do... When you put a new battery in it, the whole BCM/ECM has to be re coded to recognize the new battery or else it will still try to charge your new one like the old rundown one and ruin your new one in short order...500.00 at dealer...
Something like that was my concern, and why I asked. This truck has more widgets and doodads than any vehicle I have ever owned. Glad to learn this one doesn't involve some sort of electronics wizardry.

OP
OP
B

bad_idea

Reaction score
Battery replacements on these vehicles are not a 5 minute job. Definitely more involved than any other vehicle I own, because of how many components hook up to it and the pieces you have to move to get it in an out.
But doable in your driveway if you know how to use a wrench.
I had a 2015 Ford Escape, you have to pull the wipers, cowl panel, and several other doodads to get to the battery. I had to google where the battery even was. The wiper studs aren't even splined, they are just tapered. You have to be sure to reinstall the wiper arms clocked correctly. That car was a nightmare to do anything on!

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a pita on these rigs - much easier on the gmt900s. After removing the braces, I had to flip it sideways to get it out, and oem doesnt have a handle to get a good grip. Its awkward and heavy - make sure you have a stepladder, a strap, and a fender cover. It also helps to not have anything "partially torn" in your shoulders...

blondie70

Reaction score
Wife has a '14 Escape. As mentioned above....just finding the battery was an adventure. Changing it is a real PIA. Had to print out a recipie to do it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son had a MOPAR car that he had to remove the front left tire and remove the wheel well shrouding, in order to get access to the battery to slide it out through the wheel well to replace it.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least you don't have a Jaguar like I do... When you put a new battery in it, the whole BCM/ECM has to be re coded to recognize the new battery or else it will still try to charge your new one like the old rundown one and ruin your new one in short order...500.00 at dealer...
I’m fairly certain my wife’s Mercedes requires the same BS. The dealer can kiss my ass though. If the battery that I just put in outlives the warranty, I’ll be happy.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Seems like quite a few European cars are like this. My son was a BMW tech for a few years and spoke often about having to code batteries and coils to the vehicle after replacement. Or at least the battery replacement required some sort of re-set.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m fairly certain my wife’s Mercedes requires the same BS. The dealer can kiss my ass though. If the battery that I just put in outlives the warranty, I’ll be happy.
Well, they went easy on me... only 444.00... Ha Ha...!

CorvairGeek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At least the replacement won't have the handle removed like the original. I was afraid I was going to have to shift the coolant tank on mine (it has been apart before). Zip tied the top assembly out of the way to get the old one out for a core.

Attachments

• Yulon Batt.jpg
    Yulon Batt.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 13

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19