Batteries- What do you run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpope2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running Super Start Extremes for years now and have only had one issue where I got a battery from a bad lot. O'Reilly exchanged it for free with no questions asked. They have a 3 year warranty on them and usually last 4 -5 years for me.
I run this line myself. East penn and Johnson share manufacturing for the Super Start line.

TXMaverick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had to replace one in another vehicle this spring and went with one of the Duracell AGM batteries from Batteries Plus Bulbs. I believe it was East Penn that supplies these so they should be good quality but time will tell if they are worth the premium price.
Hope you don't have any problems like I did. Mine died after 14 months and they refused to warranty it because Voc was above 12V but it had no current capability at all, just a surface charge. They said I hadn't maintained it which was a total lie. I'm an electrical engineer, I know how to maintain batteries. Anyway, Batts+ is on my permanent black list, will never go back...ever. Buy their Duracell products at your own risk, but I can reasonably assume they've been told to refuse warranty claims any way possible, probably cause they know their batts are crap.

atobin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought an AGM battery from Batteries Plus, nice battery at a good price.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am always amazed that there is nothing like the original battery that comes in these vehicles. Ours lasted 8 years and may have still had some life but I screwed up and left the Tahoe's rear hatch window open overnight on vacation. Who knew that a dome light bulb could kill a truck battery. I replaced it with the middle model AC Delco and that is at 4 years now and I am holding my breath in the coming winter. One issue I have with Delco replacements is that the Chevy dealer can't even swap them out without their hands outreached for an extra $20. So that's $120/Hour for the privilege of the sale.

I gave up on Interstate in our other cars and just get to Walmart with the knowledge that there would probably be no bonus time much past the rated lifespan. So far no surprises and they have a very small core charge compared to the auto parts stores. It almost makes it worth a ride to the recycling center where they pay more than Walmart on the cores.

SoCalChuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Morning all- The life of my battery is nearing the end sooner than I would like, which has prompted me to start shopping before I'm left stranded.

I'm currently looking to purchase an AGM battery as from the little research I've done seem to be a better buy in regards to ruggedness and dependability.

It seems Advanced Auto has the best pricing on their DieHard line of batteries. Is there any others that y'all have personal experience in/with?

I got a Bosch Platinum AGM for my 2015 XL Denali on sale at Pep Boys and I am very happy with it.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Morning all- The life of my battery is nearing the end sooner than I would like, which has prompted me to start shopping before I'm left stranded.

I'm currently looking to purchase an AGM battery as from the little research I've done seem to be a better buy in regards to ruggedness and dependability.

It seems Advanced Auto has the best pricing on their DieHard line of batteries. Is there any others that y'all have personal experience in/with?

Walmart AGM battery they have 4 years free replacement for about $169

cost of ownership is $3.52 per month

i bought mine when it had $2.81 cost of ownership but it had a 5 year free replacement

TahoYukon Forum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi friends, I generally only suggest a ACDELCO battery, only $94 ( I think last 1 was $130) and my last 1 lasted 10 years in my daily in Kansas that is not garaged. Keep in mind Kansas had crazy heat and cold cycles. I do love Project farm, but he only tested new products. any new product will work well, but you don't know how well built it is until it is deployed. Hope this helps

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im an Interstate dealer, though I use their marine batteries professionally and only the car batteries personally, Ive had good luck with them. They offer a marine AGM, but do not know what they may offer in a automotive AGM.

Brand and type aside, when I put a new battery in my rig this spring, I modified the tray so I could run a slightly larger battery and gain some extra CCA and RC.

Cottonseed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whats the part number for the Optima Red Top in the 15-20 trucks?

Does Interstate make an AGM for these? couldnt find that either.

I called Napa, Pep Boys, and Autozone and no one has it. One dude said Optima doesnt make a battery for this model.
In my 06 Z Tahoe I had 1 red top that lasted close to 8 years. Great batteries even if theyre made in Mexico now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman