Bad knock out of nowhere! Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Basshead21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Tahoe LT Z71. 165576 miles on it. This morning everything was normal then get halfway to work and it’s knocking ridiculously. I checked oil level and pressure and they are good.. any help is extremely appreciated! Thank you.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Tahoe LT Z71. 165576 miles on it. This morning everything was normal then get halfway to work and it’s knocking ridiculously. I checked oil level and pressure and they are good.. any help is extremely appreciated! Thank you.

Depends on where the knock is Cody. If up top, it's likely a collapsed AFM lifter. This repair can be done at home over a weekend for someone not too familiar with wrenching or in just a few hours by a pro.

OP
OP
B

Basshead21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds more at the bottom. It’s pretty crazy it was fine this morning and then out of nowhere it was loud.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds more at the bottom. It’s pretty crazy it was fine this morning and then out of nowhere it was loud.

Well, it happens, kinda soon though. Get a long extension or breaker bar or mechanics stethoscope and probe around until you find where it is. If it's a rod bearing, you'll need to rebuild the short block or replace the motor.

OP
OP
B

Basshead21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not much to go on here Cody, More description? One of those handy cell phone recordings?
Well, it happens, kinda soon though. Get a long extension or breaker bar or mechanics stethoscope and probe around until you find where it is. If it's a rod bearing, you'll need to rebuild the short block or replace the motor.
that’s what I was afraid of . Thank you.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum. Wish it was under better

Does the noise change with engine speed? Did the Service Engine Light come on? I am assuming it is more of a tapping sound as opposed to a squeaking sound.

Agree that a video with sound would be nice.

The first thing that comes to mind is you have a lifter that has failed. This is a common issue with these motors. Another possibility is a broken valve spring which is also known to happen, but is not as common as the lifter failure. I am assuming that you have AFM/DOD still active on your vehicle where it switches from V8 and V4 mode.

How comfortable are you with working on cars?

OP
OP
B

Basshead21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Does the noise change with engine speed? Did the Service Engine Light come on? I am assuming it is more of a tapping sound as opposed to a squeaking sound.

The first thing that comes to mind is you have a lifter that has failed. This is a common issue with these motors. Another possibility is a broken valve spring which is also known to happen, but is not as common as the lifter failure. I am assuming that you have AFM/DOD still active on your vehicle where it switches from V8 and V4 mode.

I’m trying to upload the 13 sec video tats to big.

OP
OP
B

Basshead21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

With speed it’s faster and no check engine light. And yes I do have that AFM/DOD. I believe I could do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne