Bad knock out of nowhere! Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did. To my eyes, this is the first account we have of someone driving around for an extended period of time with 8 quarts and did not report any damage in doing so. Good to know!

Wow. It did not register with me that he had been running long term with 8qts. I mean the words were there but .....

That’s also the first I’ve heard of anyone doing that intentionally and not having issues.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. It did not register with me that he had been running long term with 8qts. I mean the words were there but .....

That’s also the first I’ve heard of anyone doing that intentionally and not having issues.

I put it off for over a year because I was afraid to do it (lifter rattle at start up), even though I witnessed it first hand on our shop truck. Like I said, I've put over 1k miles on it since doing it and 99% of those miles have been on the interstate. I'm not saying I recommend doing it but at the same time, it seems to have fixed the issue. I'm sure something else will break eventually (190k miles) and I'll fix it all at the same time (transmission failure, lifter failure, etc).

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a side note, I can assure you the motor will run with 17+ quarts of oil in it—it will smoke like crazy, but it’ll run. I’d be willing to bet 8 quarts isn’t in danger of even getting close to the crank whilst running.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
As a side note, I can assure you the motor will run with 17+ quarts of oil in it—it will smoke like crazy, but it’ll run.

Now you have our curiosity peaked so I'll bite....

How do you know???... lol

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now you have our curiosity peaked so I'll bite....

How do you know???... lol

I bought a 4.8 Tahoe at auction. When I got it home, I pulled the dipstick and thought “nah... couldn’t be that full. The tube must be full of sludge or something.” Fired it up and there was LOTS of smoke. Then I drained the pan into my 5 quart pan. And again. And again. And some more... It smoked a lot less after that and then stopped and it’s still going at over 310k miles.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the torque converter too.

I was sick thinking I'd have to replace the 6.0. Turns out the Tc was crapped out. It sounded like hell too, all gears, and changed with revs. Easy enough to check out too with the inspection place coming off.

Reaction score
So My 09 Yukon just started knocking last week. I was hoping for lifters or something lesser but the more I'm reading, the less confidence I'm having. The knock is consistent with rpms and acceleration. Check Engine and Stabilitrak flash at 2500 rpms, then rough idles for about a minute or two. I've changed the oil and added Marvel Mystery. It's quieted the noise slightly, but I'm still concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons