B0100 & B0103 airbag codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks - this winter I had the above codes (B0100 & B0103) pop on my 04 Suburban LT. I have done some investigating and tried replacing the two front impact sensors with salvage units from the wrecking yard to no avail - I know that I have no way of testing them but they were free of any bulging/corrosion and they were extremely cheap so I figured it would be worth a try.

After no success with that route I started to trace wiring and examining what was easiest to access. I pulled the drivers seat to check the connections at the ABM and it would appear that I also have a leak somewhere and the excess moisture has sped up corrosion of the exterior of the box. There has been a small amount of standing water on the floor but the unit has not been submerged - moisture has just wicked up the carpet and underpad. I pulled the plug to see if any of the connections were damaged but they all look good.

Question is am I doomed to need a replacement ABM and reprogramming? Are these units robust enough to resist water intrusion? If I dry up the area and seal the leak (think it is most likely the windshield cowling/fresh air duct as it is on both sides) can I go back to looking at the rest of the wiring? How common is it that both impact sensors would trip fault codes relatively close together? I am not a parts cannon firing kind of guy - just want to exhaust all diagnostic routes before stumping for some pretty expensive parts.

Attachments

• IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 5

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the left front sensor on my 04 a couple of weeks ago. I was getting the B0100. I hear ya on the cost! It was $100 after 30% Bucket Sale discount at Napa for the left sensor.

Service manual had one of the steps include inspection of the connectors that plug into the sensors. In that wet and salty location, corrosion can easily build up inside the connectors.
If you haven't inspected them already, I would look there.

Was any work done in the front area in the last few months? Maybe a wire got nicked or pulled just enough to cause a bad connection.

Let us know what you find. Good luck!

OP
OP
S

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up here in Canada it is going to cost around $300 to replace both impact sensors! When I had the original ones off I inspected the connectors they looked clean and free of corrosion. I didn't see any knicks in the wiring either - at least what I could see of it. I haven't done any front end work on the truck for at least a couple of years so I doubt it's anything that I did personally.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is from my FSM. Maybe it will help point to something?

DTC B0100 and B0103 will set when one of the following conditions occur:
 A valid ID message is not received within 5 seconds of the front end sensor being powered up.
 Status message is not received.
 The SDM has failed twice to reset the front end sensor.

OP
OP
S

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks - I read this in my research. That's what lead me to examine as much of the wiring as I could.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it look like the salt corrosion ate through the box anywhere? Aluminum on steel + salt and water... It may have eaten pinholes into the case or along the seam.
It looked like the FSM included diagrams with expected voltages on the different wires and connectors. Maybe testing for those values might tell what is working and not working.

Other than that, I am at the end of my limited abilities to help on this one.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks - this winter I had the above codes (B0100 & B0103) pop on my 04 Suburban LT. I have done some investigating and tried replacing the two front impact sensors with salvage units from the wrecking yard to no avail - I know that I have no way of testing them but they were free of any bulging/corrosion and they were extremely cheap so I figured it would be worth a try.

After no success with that route I started to trace wiring and examining what was easiest to access. I pulled the drivers seat to check the connections at the ABM and it would appear that I also have a leak somewhere and the excess moisture has sped up corrosion of the exterior of the box. There has been a small amount of standing water on the floor but the unit has not been submerged - moisture has just wicked up the carpet and underpad. I pulled the plug to see if any of the connections were damaged but they all look good.

Question is am I doomed to need a replacement ABM and reprogramming? Are these units robust enough to resist water intrusion? If I dry up the area and seal the leak (think it is most likely the windshield cowling/fresh air duct as it is on both sides) can I go back to looking at the rest of the wiring? How common is it that both impact sensors would trip fault codes relatively close together? I am not a parts cannon firing kind of guy - just want to exhaust all diagnostic routes before stumping for some pretty expensive parts.
looks pretty nasty, not sure how much those can take moisture wise, you CAN use a used one as long as it was not from a vehicle that was in a accident that blew any airbags and is the exact same part number, then all you would need is to have it learned to the vin with a tech2.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
replaced the one in my wifes 05 from the junkyard cost me like $30 and I already had the tech2 took about 60 seconds to learn it to the vin start to finish. i just matched up the numbers and made sure the donor vehicle had not been wrecked which was simply a walk around and seeing no crumpled parts, usually the drivers airbag gets snatched up quick.
a socket wrench and pocket knife to cut the carpet and you can pull one out pretty quick at the junkyard

OP
OP
S

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replaced the one in my wifes 05 from the junkyard cost me like $30 and I already had the tech2 took about 60 seconds to learn it to the vin start to finish. i just matched up the numbers and made sure the donor vehicle had not been wrecked which was simply a walk around and seeing no crumpled parts, usually the drivers airbag gets snatched up quick.
a socket wrench and pocket knife to cut the carpet and you can pull one out pretty quick at the junkyard
Thinking this might be the best route to take. Any links to a reputable seller for a budget friendly Tech 2 clone that will ship to Canada?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking this might be the best route to take. Any links to a reputable seller for a budget friendly Tech 2 clone that will ship to Canada?
chinacardiags is legit, they usually ship dhl, you really don't need to spring for the carry case they offer it with and without, I keep mine in a laptop bag
probably best option is the one for $269 plus dhl shipping, you can pay with paypal so you don't have to worry about giving out a credit card number
most people get them in under 2-weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157