Bad Battery and OBD Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Bad Batteries and OBD Codes.

Check your battery first if your Escalade is pulling electrical related OBD codes.
I just purchased a used car for my son. As is my habit when purchasing a used car, I reviewed the Carfax and ran an OBD diagnostic. I noticed on the Carfax the battery had just been replaced. When I ran the OBD the car pulled a P1604 code (Stability malfunction) plus four more codes, all of which were electrical related. My OBD designated them as current/history; meaning these were either current issue codes or old stored codes (It is a cheap OBD that doesn't distinguish between stored and new codes.) In checking for possible causes, I found a bad battery can be why all these codes occur. When I cleared the codes and reran the diagnostic the codes went away.

After doing a bit more research I learned a battery that is even just a bit low in voltage (but will still start the car) can trigger codes.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great tips. Once you clear the codes how long should you wait to scan again? I know some codes won’t show back up until so many ignition cycles are attempted. Or is it so many cycles until the dash light comes on but the codes are stored without the dash light immediately?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad Batteries and OBD Codes.

Check your battery first if your Escalade is pulling electrical related OBD codes.
I just purchased a used car for my son. As is my habit when purchasing a used car, I reviewed the Carfax and ran an OBD diagnostic. I noticed on the Carfax the battery had just been replaced. When I ran the OBD the car pulled a P1604 code (Stability malfunction) plus four more codes, all of which were electrical related. My OBD designated them as current/history; meaning these were either current issue codes or old stored codes (It is a cheap OBD that doesn't distinguish between stored and new codes.) In checking for possible causes, I found a bad battery can be why all these codes occur. When I cleared the codes and reran the diagnostic the codes went away.

After doing a bit more research I learned a battery that is even just a bit low in voltage (but will still start the car) can trigger codes.
better yet clean the grounds and do the big 3 upgrade, even if you are not putting in audio equipment, it just makes everything better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts