Automatic Transmission - slight surge from 1st to 2nd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jerome Nelson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Id be interested in the state of the fluid. Is it burnt smelling? Bright pink or more brown to orangish in color?

It's a bit hard to tell from this attached pic. (The blacker areas are from the black fan shroud behind it - the fluid makes the thin paper towel kind of transparent. So, it looks better in "real life".)

I'd say it's reddish with a hint of brown in real life. It looked darker before I added the 2 bottles of Lucas (about a year ago?). A year ago I would have said it was pinkish red, with a brown halo around it.

No burnt smell. It smells kind of like oil.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 4.12.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 4.12.02 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks to me that it says
1 rebuildable core
O/h ( maybe overhaul) with clutches
1 Reman torque converter
1 Valvebody with electronics
So really with just that, who knows if quality parts are in there, and it doesn't mention any hard parts, and ive never seen a bad 2-4 band that didnt also have a bad drum that it had been squeezing.
Give me a bit as im at work, and i will see if i can find a video of something i want you to check.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1640215911933.jpg

This is the 2-4 servo cover. See if you can push it in and measure or just try judge how far it moves. If it moves more than an 1/8 of an inch, the band is worn or pin is too short. Need a longer pin or new band which a band is rebuild territory

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I read it as getting a rebuildable transmission for $650. Doing all clutches, gaskets and seals using an overhaul kit with clutches, new filter, reman torque convertor, valve body with electronics and 1 band but which band? So many of us, like myself, do the Corvette servo.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that's why they call them 4L"slippy" transmissions. Does yours have a drain plug in the bottom of the pan. I would agree that the fluid and filter should have been changed a long time ago. A dropped pan with a fluid and filter change will probably reveal lots of metallic sludge. I will go as far as saying after that long it's on it's way out.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read it as getting a rebuildable transmission for $650. Doing all clutches, gaskets and seals using an overhaul kit with clutches, new filter, reman torque convertor, valve body with electronics and 1 band but which band? So many of us, like myself, do the Corvette servo.
Which band? There is only one band in a GM 4L60E/65E

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that's why they call them 4L"slippy" transmissions. Does yours have a drain plug in the bottom of the pan. I would agree that the fluid and filter should have been changed a long time ago. A dropped pan with a fluid and filter change will probably reveal lots of metallic sludge. I will go as far as saying after that long it's on it's way out.
Thats what those that dont know any better may call them. There is no tranny in the world that wont slip or work correctly if its excessively worn or built incorrectly. Theres a 4L60E turning a driveshaft on 99 Z71 right now as we speak. I built and I built it for towing a 32ft camper. I sold the truck last year to a friend. I built that tranny in 2006 and the truck had around 125k on it then. It now has 300k+ on the clock. You build them right and use the right parts along with a tranny cooler and they will last a very long time. Drive a pickup like its a racecar and the tranny wont last very long. They arent made for that. (Oem type build).

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Which band? There is only one band in a GM 4L60E/65E
I freely volunteer my ignorance of all inner workings of the transmission. Just to be clear, I understand and know some of the parts and operations but not all of them like @rockola1971 and @Mudsport96 seem to know. Wish I did though.

Last edited:

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I freely volunteer my ignorance of all inner workings of the transmission. Just to be clear, I understand and know some of the parts and operations but not all of them like @rockola1971 and @Mudsport96 seem to know. Wish I did though.
In my defense, ive learned more from mistakes and poor decisions than doing things right.
How do i know what i know about the 4l60e? Ive destroyed many of them. Then had to fix them lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401