Auto braking being ridiculous

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

22ohdenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why are the systems on these soo sensitive? During the winter I was backing into the garage while it was snowing and it auto stopped me like 3-4 times. At first I thought it was my son opening the doors.

Then anytime I back into a parking spot with a curb stop it freaks out and will tap the brakes while the seat alerts are going nuts. Same thing if there was a snow pile. Even if I have my foot on the brake applying pressure it will still do it.

If I shut all the systems off I get all the stupid christmas lights lit on the dash.

Is anyone elses this sensitive?

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i haven't even taken delivery yet so i don't have any direct info (not even sure if the Tahoe has this kind of breaking system)... but I had issues with my Honda Accord auto breaking with oncoming traffic... talk about scary.

I took it to the dealer and they "re-aimed" the sensor and its been great since. Might be worth asking them to re-calibrate the system?

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are the systems on these soo sensitive? During the winter I was backing into the garage while it was snowing and it auto stopped me like 3-4 times. At first I thought it was my son opening the doors.

Then anytime I back into a parking spot with a curb stop it freaks out and will tap the brakes while the seat alerts are going nuts. Same thing if there was a snow pile. Even if I have my foot on the brake applying pressure it will still do it.

If I shut all the systems off I get all the stupid christmas lights lit on the dash.

Is anyone elses this sensitive?
I've got the same issue in reverse. Coming out of my garage or backing down the driveway it hammers the breaks and gives me a heart attack. Has happened a few times. If you push the parking sensor button it disables it for longer runs backing up and then hit the button again as you get close to obstacles you can see. I plan to take mine in and have it looked at but for now it's a workaround.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a plug for it, about a week into ownership, as I was getting used to the blind spots, was backing out of my driveway one morning. It slammed on the brakes in reverse for me, duplicating the heart attack @DenaliCountry refers to. I looked over my left shoulder in time to see a vehicle passing on the road. Net, it saved me a collision...

I too get a vibration in my rear and a beep as I back out of the garage, as it seems to detect the garage wall, and when the snow was piled up at end of driveway, same thing, but no actual hard brake applications, save the one time I mentioned above where it was needed. I seem to think the warning is less aggressive the slower I am going. How fast are you backing?

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a plug for it, about a week into ownership, as I was getting used to the blind spots, was backing out of my driveway one morning. It slammed on the brakes in reverse for me, duplicating the heart attack @DenaliCountry refers to. I looked over my left shoulder in time to see a vehicle passing on the road. Net, it saved me a collision...

I too get a vibration in my rear and a beep as I back out of the garage, as it seems to detect the garage wall, and when the snow was piled up at end of driveway, same thing, but no actual hard brake applications, save the one time I mentioned above where it was needed. I seem to think the warning is less aggressive the slower I am going. How fast are you backing?
The couple of times it's happened to me, one one of which was inching out of the garage and the other was back down the driveway at <5MPH. I agree the system is great to have, which is why I haven't turned it off. Just seems like the aim on the sensors is off or it is overly sensitive to things that are perceived as objects when they are not.

Last edited:

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours beeps/flashes/vibrates all the time as the system seems to see absolutely everything close to the vehicle but I’ve never experienced the auto braking. Had our ‘21 about 7 months now

PaulGA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had an issue yet with the Yukon, but my Acadia has freaked me out several times. We have a gravel driveway and every so often on a slight incline it'll go nuts and jam on the brakes. Happened to me going through a Drive-Thru lane too, no cars in front of me, just a concrete pad, it did it 2-3 times from the pay window to pickup window.

Mooseman93

Reaction score
Maybe it's the racecar driver in me, but I don't want my car to do anything I didn't command it to do. If I'm in a collision avoidance situation and my split second reaction is to mash the gas, I sure don't want my car slamming on the brakes at the same time! I understand there are different levels of drivers, and my wife would probably value a safety feature like that, but not me. I honestly trust myself more than a computer algorithm and a bunch of sensors.
Sorry, I'll go back to the NBS forum where I belong now.

KVacek

Reaction score
I hate ABS and traction control for that reason. I've been driving in snow and ice, 99% RWD except for the Suburban and AWD Yukon and a couple of kids FWD cars, since the early 60's. SCCA raced in my 20's. I can definitely stop better in rain or ice and snow than ABS. And traction control has scared me too many times in my Cobra. Pull out onto a highway quickly with somebody coming, no danger till the traction control decides I'm slipping a tire too much and cuts the power. That oncoming truck always gets way bigger really FAST. I don't enjoy things trying to outsmart me.

Boatguy

Reaction score
Of you have adaptive cruise control, hard braking on a freeway can happen. It happens, for example, if you are in a mild left hand turn, overtaking a truck in the lane to the right. All the sudden, the ACC thinks the truck is in your lane and hits the brakes, ******* off everyone behind you who think you brake checked them.

That is documented in the manual. My Yukon has been very well behaved—and helpful—in tight parking situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401