At the point of getting rid of our 2016 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordfest

Reaction score
I shared this in the suspension section and realized it is best suited here. Just because my forum name uses Ford, we have been diehard Denali owners for 15 years.

It is insane that we have to consider swapping out numerous suspension components on a SUV with a msrp of $80k+! We have owned 3 Yukon XL Denali over the past 15 years. While the styling and looks are great, the ride simply sucks. Due to the ride, we have countless rattles that can't seem to be corrected and the rear glass/spoiler keep coming loose, also due to the rough ride.

I'm actually giving it a full detail today to put it up for sale or trade it in. We have hit our max with this car. It is a shame that GM hasn't addressed the ride issue. I don't get it, just reprogram the computer or turn it off. There is no way this wasn't seen during development. Every visit to the dealer I mention how it has a horrible ride and ask if there is a TSB. All I get back is the deer in the headlights look. To my knowledge, our dealer has not made one phone call to GM about the issue.

We are still young enough we would have several more of Denali in our future if it is what we have come to expect from the 2007-14 models. That model had a couple of minor interior issues that were addressed with a simple low cost fix.

It makes us completely sick that we are at the point of getting rid of our Denali. At this point, we have no idea what we are going to replace it with. We have been loyal to GMC because we liked their full size SUV. If I could have back our 2007, we would gladly make the swap.

Sorry, to vent. This is the only place where people actually understand what we are dealing with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are some that have that issue but the majority do not comparing the amount that are sold verses the amount that are complained about. The same with the booming/buffeting. Some feel it most don't. I had a Lemon early build 2015 Tahoe that I took action on instead of just complaining and it was taken care of (Lemon Law) and I have owned many GM vehicles dating back to the 70's. There have been some that had the issue fixed by the Dealer but sometimes you can't blame the vehicle if you have an incompetent Dealer. Don't for one second think that all manufacturers don't have issues. I have been on plenty of other forums. Good luck and hopefully you will be happy with the next brand.

OP
OP
F

fordfest

Reaction score
Yes, there are some that have that issue but the majority do not comparing the amount that are sold verses the amount that are complained about. The same with the booming/buffeting. Some feel it most don't. I had a Lemon early build 2015 Tahoe that I took action on instead of just complaining and it was taken care of (Lemon Law) and I have owned many GM vehicles dating back to the 70's. There have been some that had the issue fixed by the Dealer but sometimes you can't blame the vehicle if you have an incompetent Dealer. Don't for one second think that all manufacturers don't have issues. I have been on plenty of other forums. Good luck and hopefully you will be happy with the next brand.

Thanks for the feedback. If the ride issue was fixed, we wouldn't think of selling it. We may go drive a Tahoe (not sure if they have the magnetic ride).

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. If the ride issue was fixed, we wouldn't think of selling it. We may go drive a Tahoe (not sure if they have the magnetic ride).

The Premier trim has the magnetic ride. You can get a loaded LT that has ALMOST every feature the Premier has but without MRC.

OP
OP
F

fordfest

Reaction score

It does suck to get rid of it. It is a gorgeous ride and no idea what we will replace it with. There is nothing in the full size segment.

0199274d52853b8900426545e9a6eaa7.jpg

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a problem with a 16 Tahoe. There are some tsb’s for the ride in the 15’s
Turns out I had a locked up rear strut.
My tahoe has a very tight ride and when I’d hit a bump any road imperfection for that matter, she rode like a brick. My problems seem a lot like those you are complaining about. I too was afraid of shaking the car apart.
The 16’s had a change of suspension parts to smooth out the ride. I had thought that my problems were due to left over 15 parts being installed. Turns out it was a locked up strut. My truck also has the max towing package. That option compounds the rough ride.
As suggested above put some weight back there. Mulch etc. it will smooth out the ride.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if it's the shocks and struts being too firm as commanded by the computer. I think my Tahoe rides too firm for what it is, so I unplugged the wires from the shocks to test it. The ride wasn't quite cloud-like, but the sharp bumps were much more softly absorbed. I would've left it had it not also made the car feel so top-heavy. A little side-to-side jig of the steering wheel and the whole body rocked as if it could easily lose control- not safe! I plugged all the connectors back in, satisfied that at least I know where the problem is and will address it when I lower it.

If you don't have a locked-up strut or shock and the suspension programming is what's causing the firm ride, then you probably can't do anything about it other than get non-MRC shocks and struts and either "trick" the computer with resistors (if that's even possible on this model) or have the MRC removed from the programming so you don't get warning lights.

Testing this theory only takes a few minutes and, if you have no issues or reasons to ditch your Denali other than the stiff ride, it may make you reconsider. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, I actually don't have much faith at all in the newer vehicles. You just seem like you really don't wanna get rid of it so I threw in my last-ditch effort idea. Best of luck to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01