Appreciate your Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my Tahoe last July with 10 months still remaining on my 2016 Traverse lease. Knowing my father-in-law rarely drives, I let him have the Traverse until turn-in. Well, the lease ends in about 3 weeks so he brought my Traverse back last night.

I’ve had 3 Traverses and loved them all. However, drove the Traverse to work this morning after months of the Tahoe and I must say, pretty disappointed. Feels like a cheap Chinese made toy compared to the Tahoe. Just a quick reminder, I see a whole lot of complaining around here about the Tahoe (some legitimate), but value what you’ve got, it’s a beast on wheels.

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife drives a 2016 Suburban and I have a 2018 Tahoe and we love them. They are beasts!!! It all comes down to expectation management in my opinion. Many people expect too much. Understandably so considering how much these vehicles cost, but they surely don't make them like they used to. Going into one of these, you should accept that up front.

I joined this forum hoping to find enthusiasts and read threads pertaining to aftermarket improvements including performance, aesthetics and style upgrades. I contribute to the forum and try to give members new ideas as well as my personal reviews on upgrades I have made to my truck. To each there own... Additionally, I think this is a great place for people to post up when they have a problem or an issue that they are seeking help to resolve, but what really grinds my gears is when people come on hear and bash these trucks or the brand. There are several other options out there when purchasing a vehicle. None are perfect. Additionally, I would recommend doing research on your dealer of choice when purchasing a new vehicle. Not all dealers are created equal. Experiences vary from dealer to dealer. I agree, some of the complaints are warranted, but also agree with your sentiment that there is a lot of value in these "beasts."

What I love about the Tahoe is that currently it is still a "truck". If I wanted a smoother riding more refined vehicle, I would have purchased an SUV with independent suspension. This is what I was referring to earlier when I was talking about expectation management. Make no mistake, the Tahoe is a truck. It is not really an SUV. As such, even with all the dampening options, it is still a truck. I am sure the 2020 and beyond models will be super cool....to include smoother ride, better handling, etc..... But it will no longer be a truck. To me, that was a deciding factor when purchasing my 18'.

Lastly, in my opinion, no matter the make/model, the more creature comforts/gadgets/extras you equip your truck with, the more maintenance, failures, recalls you are going to be faced with over the life of the truck. Case in point, for some of you older fellas in here, if you think back to the Chevy Suburban and older Tahoes with less tech/creature comforts/digitized systems, repair bills and failed components occurred less frequently. The sunroof is a prime example of one of the creature comforts I was talking about. Problems with these things are inevitable over the long haul unless you are willing to frequently maintain them. (cleaning the channels, lubricating the moving parts, etc... )

I'll get off my soap box now. OP, completely agree with your post. Thank you for sharing.

Cheers!

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dig my Tahoe, despite the few issues here and there. I took my wife's Audi Q5 on a short road trip a few weekends ago, and while it is swift, silent and smooth, and while it has lots of crazy cool features (like electronic control to adjust suspension, throttle/transmission settings), it kinda lacks a soul. I prefer the larger size & heavier weight of the Tahoe, not only for holding an advantage in the event of a collision, but also for the ability to load up just about as many people or things that I might need to carry along.

Funny thing: in my case with my Tahoe, none of the many bells & whistles are the sources of issues. Instead, I've dealt with more basic headaches such as cracking/leaking heater core T-connectors and the like. Still, I'd buy her all over again.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing...

I watch YouTube videos of brand new Tahoes, Yukons, Escalades, etc. They're talking about power-everything, heated & reclining rear seats, DVD screens, remote start, folding mirrors, power sunroof, power folding rear seats.....

Guess what. I got all that **** already. And when I put my rig in Tow Mode, which Justin at Black Near Performance converted to Sport Mode, I feel like I got at least 80% of what a brand new ride offers. Yeah, I'm running a 4-speed Trans vs a 8- or even 10-speed trans, but, shoot, I'm good!

cycho

Reaction score
We are learning to love our 2013 Tahoe. I was disappointed when I bought it 2 months ago for several reasons, most had to do with the dealers' misrepresentation of the vehicle because I paid top price in a good faith effort to get a used vehicle in tip-top condition. Which didn't turn out o be the case. Then during the first road trip the next week I has a bit brought down by the over steering and sway plus what I perceived to be a lack of power. But I still looked at our Tahoe as a beast and it's growing on me more and more.

We drive to our mountain cabin every two weeks so I have more road experience and seat time now. I'm learning the power curve and steering characteristics of the Tahoe. Growing to enjoy 6 speeds and all of the other niceties that I thought made the vehicle a bit soft (soccer mom suv). During the last trip we pulled a ten foot enclosed trailer loaded with planting soil and tools. It was about as heavy as you can get in ten feet. The Tahoe didn't care, it did fabulous up and down the hills. Up shifting, down shifting, Auto leveling, MPG, and all the rest was impressive. Not to mention the Bose system! Yippie!

SgtCookeUSMC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 96 two door Tahoe (how cool were they?). That's when you still got the 350. I later had the 2002 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L Vortec. After a foray over to Ram for a while, I now have a 2018 Suburban. I share the resume because this new one is beautiful and has way more bells and whistles than I ever could dream of BUT, it's not in anyway similar to what I've driven the last 20 years. The prices, MPG, and tech has increased, but the build quality hasn't. So, I don't ***** about it daily but, I do notice it...especially at $67K.

That being said, I joined the forum so that I can make sure I'm just not being picky and over scrutinizing. I look to see if others are having similar issues/disappointments etc. I LOVE my Sub...wouldn't trade it for any other vehicle on the market except maybe a Gurkha. I do appreciate my Suburban :)

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I share the resume because this new one is beautiful and has way more bells and whistles than I ever could dream of BUT, it's not in anyway similar to what I've driven the last 20 years. The prices, MPG, and tech has increased, but the build quality hasn't. So, I don't ***** about it daily but, I do notice it...especially at $67K.

This is my feeling overall, and why I am content to sit tight with my '08 rather than trading in for a newer unit anytime soon.

ENJOY

RobDenali

Reaction score
my 2016 drives like a station wagon on a truck frame, and that OK with me Being in my mid 50's I love station wagons :)

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2016 drives like a station wagon on a truck frame, and that OK with me Being in my mid 50's I love station wagons :)
Same with my Suburban. And I liked wagons so much that after I totaled my Fusion from a deer hit, I bought a station wagon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh