Anyone with Maxtrac 2" rear leveling kit installed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twister

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update after towing this weekend- the rear settled another 1/8”, which now makes it definitely look lower than the front. I have a pair of front lowering struts coming this week so I can lower the front whatever amount I need to regain the rake I want. More importantly, the Maxtrac instructions for the sensor rods say to make them 2 15/16” center to center, and that’s not nearly long enough. When hitched up to our trailer (600# tongue weight), the rear sagged about 1.5”, and the air system only raised it back up 1/4”. Before you take off your OEM rods, accurately mark where your sensor levers are positioned, and make the new rods the correct length to match that. I didn’t do that initially because I mistakenly trusted the figures in the instructions, and I had to go back afterwards to do it.

djamac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update after towing this weekend- the rear settled another 1/8”, which now makes it definitely look lower than the front. I have a pair of front lowering struts coming this week so I can lower the front whatever amount I need to regain the rake I want. More importantly, the Maxtrac instructions for the sensor rods say to make them 2 15/16” center to center, and that’s not nearly long enough. When hitched up to our trailer (600# tongue weight), the rear sagged about 1.5”, and the air system only raised it back up 1/4”. Before you take off your OEM rods, accurately mark where your sensor levers are positioned, and make the new rods the correct length to match that. I didn’t do that initially because I mistakenly trusted the figures in the instructions, and I had to go back afterwards to do it.
You'll have to post pictures after the strut change, I am interested in the same. Are you running upgraded sway bars, or plan too?

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its an optical illusion. If you look at the bottom of the truck, not the top, it should be level.

I thought the same things.

twister

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope, not an optical illusion in this case. When I first installed the springs, the rear looked a bit lower, but the measurement at the bottom of the body showed that it was actually 1/8” higher in the rear, so I was fine with that. Now they have settled a bit, and the rear is just a hair lower than the front when measured at the bottom, which makes it look that much lower when looking at the truck.
I could have either raised the rear with a spacer or lowered the front, but I like the height of the rear, so I went with lowering struts. I installed them late last night, and I’ll finish up with the alignment and such tonight. Pictures coming.

twister

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You'll have to post pictures after the strut change, I am interested in the same. Are you running upgraded sway bars, or plan too?
I’ll finish up tonight and plan to take a couple of pictures. After the install last night, the 1” setting dropped the front 1/2”, but that’s before any settling or an alignment. I don’t have any plans to upgrade the sway bars. We use the truck as my wife’s daily driver and to tow a ~4,000# trailer about once a month, and it does both of those things just fine with stock bars.

twister

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I finally took a photo, but it’s a bit deceiving because the street is sloped (you can tell the photo is level based on the house in the background). After giving the front time to settle through the day, they really haven’t changed any since install last night. The front drop with the struts on the 1” location was around 11/16”, which is a little disappointing that it’s not the full inch. So my end result is that the front is now 1/2” lower than the rear, which honestly looks fine. It’s just enough that you can tell there’s a rake, and it eliminates the droopy-ass look that’s caused by the roof being lower in the rear. I do still hope the front drops just a bit over time, and I will report what happens.

Attachments

• 69D06589-CB5B-45A1-AD02-FBD0CF54CFD1.jpeg
    69D06589-CB5B-45A1-AD02-FBD0CF54CFD1.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 15

twister

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Went out tonight, so I took another photo. If you pardon this idiot’s shadow, I think you can clearly see that there is a noticeable difference in wheelwell gap between front and rear.

Attachments

• 60B9600B-49CF-4AAF-AEA2-BBADE11DFC2F.jpeg
    60B9600B-49CF-4AAF-AEA2-BBADE11DFC2F.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 17

djamac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Went out tonight, so I took another photo. If you pardon this idiot’s shadow, I think you can clearly see that there is a noticeable difference in wheelwell gap between front and rear.
Looks good, I hate taking pictures, the only reason I have one, is the window tint company took it.

OP
OP
M

momofx

Reaction score
The rear on mine was sitting very slightly higher and according to maxtrac it needs "broke in" for a while before it finally settles to the true height. They told me if that does not help, to grind / take one thread off the leveling sensor rods on each end. Overall I'm happy with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17