Anyone ever install a block heater?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99' Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
With wind-chills below -10 already in Chicago, I think it's time to consider a block heater. Anyone ever install one in the 5.7L? If so, any advice or preference towards a model/brand and installation? Just trying to make it easier on the engine to start since it's already struggling and it's not even winter yet. Thanks for any advice and good luck this winter!

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With wind-chills below -10 already in Chicago, I think it's time to consider a block heater. Anyone ever install one in the 5.7L? If so, any advice or preference towards a model/brand and installation? Just trying to make it easier on the engine to start since it's already struggling and it's not even winter yet. Thanks for any advice and good luck this winter!

Howdy. Looks like nobody has taken a stab at this so maybe I can provide a few ideas.

I know some styles of block heaters simply go where one of the block freeze plugs are. That was one reason I never opted for the factory one when I ordered my Tahoe. I omitted that, and the heated mirrors. (Tahoe was ordered-bought from City Chevrolet in Chicago)

I've seen other types which do not need installing in the block. Such as I once helped a friend install a unit many years ago that simply spliced into the lower radiator hose on his then 1984 GMC K3500 Dually Pickup. I later bought that truck from him. The unit worked fine. (at the time I also lived in Chicago)

Another, and it is one that I have currently on my 2001 Kia Spectra as this car was originally sold-licensed in Alaska.

This type is simply some thin heating pad type, in which there are actually 3 heating pads on my Kia, which are on the Oil Pan, the Transaxle Pan, and under the Battery. Just added this later, that one has the option of just 1 heating pad, or more, just like I have.

It appears all of the pads are simply glued into place with a heavy duty RTV Silicone Sealant which on mine appears to be the red-orange grade of sealant.

It is sort of comical, because the 3 pad's wiring simply go to a hodge-podged home depot 4 inlet AC Junction Box, and of course one Male 3 prong plug exits the box with a short length of cable that it can be accessed at the front grill and then plugged in. Perhaps just a simple AC Power Strip would suffice as well?

I've never had a need to use it (knock on wood!), but assume it works fine.

I would assume if you were to search the web-ebay with such a simple search as "Block Heater", or "Universal Block Heater", this should bring back some hits.

Other options for aiding a vehicle during such colder weather is to switch to a good full synthetic engine oil. Oils such as 5-30W or even 0-30W from the likes of Mobil 1 or even Amsoil should be a great help in that they have better pourability in sub-freezing temps. Whereas conventional oils get like Vaseline at such extreme cold temps and cause slow cranking.

From after the first 1200 miles on my 1997 Tahoe, I switched to 5-30W Mobil 1 and for the first 6 years of ownership was living in Chicago. Never had any starting problems. Mobil 1 is all that I have ever used.

The other of course is having a good battery, and if at all possible to perhaps somehow shroud the battery with some type of insulation.
High winds combined with the cold can really knock the crap out of any battery.

Hope this helps.

PS: As for heaters though, I really like that crazy setup I have on the Kia. Sounds good as it warms oil, tranny, and battery all at the same time.
As well, I am a true believer in using full synth lubes for the entire drivetrain. Both Axles, Transfer Case, Motor and Tranny are filled with the correct full Synth Lubricants on my Hoe.

For folks that live in areas such as northern MN, I think such is a must!

Last edited:

Fardoche

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't like block heaters because it might allow your engine to start with a battery that otherwise would be to weak to start it on it's own. So once your engine cools down at your destination, you might not be able to come back home...

I prefer to go for lighter engine oil in winter and be sure my charging starting system is in good working condition.

Wind chill has no effect on cars other than accelerating the cooling down to ambient temperature.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like block heaters because it might allow your engine to start with a battery that otherwise would be to weak to start it on it's own. So once your engine cools down at your destination, you might not be able to come back home...

I prefer to go for lighter engine oil in winter and be sure my charging starting system is in good working condition.

Wind chill has no effect on cars other than accelerating the cooling down to ambient temperature.

Yes, I understand there can be those that are 12V and perhaps can be hooked to a vehicle's battery, or have been routed to a vehicle's battery.

Like you said, what good would that be if the battery drains trying to keep the engine warm?

And of course again in regards to AC Powered, they're worthless if you're parked out in the middle of nowhere, and there's nowhere to plug in.

Many are AC Powered, you plug them in to household current, such as these heating pads which I have on my Kia.

And such as I had on my 1990 Dodge/Cummins, with factory block heater, that was powered by AC Current, simple plug in affair. In minus 22 with 64 below wind chill the Dodge started one night no problems, like it was July.

Yes, I imagine 10 below is 10 below to a Battery under hood all things being equal, but sure seems horrid wind chill doesn't help.

Last edited:

Fardoche

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh yeah, well with a diesel I might get one. And let it idle in the store parking lot !

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, well with a diesel I might get one. And let it idle in the store parking lot !

It's been known for ages that full synthetic lubes have much better pourability in extreme cold, that's one reason I suggested such. If lubricants can't also flow quickly in such temps to protect, that's also where premature wear-damage can occur.

I remember years ago reading an article in the dodge diesel registry, where a company that was way far up north and had a considerable large fleet of dodge diesel trucks were going through rear axles like crazy. It was said to be due to the factory rear axle lubricants were not sufficiently lubricating the gears in sub zero cold.

They swapped fluids in the axles to full synthetic, and their problems were solved.

OP
OP
99' Tahoe

99' Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy. Looks like nobody has taken a stab at this so maybe I can provide a few ideas.

I know some styles of block heaters simply go where one of the block freeze plugs are. That was one reason I never opted for the factory one when I ordered my Tahoe. I omitted that, and the heated mirrors. (Tahoe was ordered-bought from City Chevrolet in Chicago)

I've seen other types which do not need installing in the block. Such as I once helped a friend install a unit many years ago that simply spliced into the lower radiator hose on his then 1984 GMC K3500 Dually Pickup. I later bought that truck from him. The unit worked fine. (at the time I also lived in Chicago)

Another, and it is one that I have currently on my 2001 Kia Spectra as this car was originally sold-licensed in Alaska.

This type is simply some thin heating pad type, in which there are actually 3 heating pads on my Kia, which are on the Oil Pan, the Transaxle Pan, and under the Battery. Just added this later, that one has the option of just 1 heating pad, or more, just like I have.

It appears all of the pads are simply glued into place with a heavy duty RTV Silicone Sealant which on mine appears to be the red-orange grade of sealant.

It is sort of comical, because the 3 pad's wiring simply go to a hodge-podged home depot 4 inlet AC Junction Box, and of course one Male 3 prong plug exits the box with a short length of cable that it can be accessed at the front grill and then plugged in. Perhaps just a simple AC Power Strip would suffice as well?

I've never had a need to use it (knock on wood!), but assume it works fine.

I would assume if you were to search the web-ebay with such a simple search as "Block Heater", or "Universal Block Heater", this should bring back some hits.

Other options for aiding a vehicle during such colder weather is to switch to a good full synthetic engine oil. Oils such as 5-30W or even 0-30W from the likes of Mobil 1 or even Amsoil should be a great help in that they have better pourability in sub-freezing temps. Whereas conventional oils get like Vaseline at such extreme cold temps and cause slow cranking.

From after the first 1200 miles on my 1997 Tahoe, I switched to 5-30W Mobil 1 and for the first 6 years of ownership was living in Chicago. Never had any starting problems. Mobil 1 is all that I have ever used.

The other of course is having a good battery, and if at all possible to perhaps somehow shroud the battery with some type of insulation.
High winds combined with the cold can really knock the crap out of any battery.

Hope this helps.

PS: As for heaters though, I really like that crazy setup I have on the Kia. Sounds good as it warms oil, tranny, and battery all at the same time.
As well, I am a true believer in using full synth lubes for the entire drivetrain. Both Axles, Transfer Case, Motor and Tranny are filled with the correct full Synth Lubricants on my Hoe.

For folks that live in areas such as northern MN, I think such is a must!

Thank you very much for your input Mark. I really appreciate it.

I completely agree that good synthetic fluids make all the difference. It's definitely worth the extra money.

I've never thought of insulating the battery, but it makes sense. I definitely plan on finding a way to insulate the battery now. Hopefully it will prolong the life of the battery and help with starting.

I'm still considering if it's really worth the trouble to install a block heater or a heater in the radiator hose, but I do appreciate the advice you've given through your own experience. I like the idea of the heating pads too, and it sounds like they would be much easier to install. Thanks again.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on a military base I see vehicles from all over and by far the most common ones I've seen are the pad ones that stick on. A lot of F**Ds mostly

99Vortec

Reaction score
I've heard that a very low wattage ac light bulb under the hood will help as well.

My father said he used to use one to keep the battery enabled during some extremely cold West Virginia weather. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz