2022 5.3 Block Heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HittinSteel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2022 z71 with the 5.3 and live in Northern Ohio. Unfortunately, I have to park the Tahoe outside. It seems to take forever to get up to temp and to begin defrosting. A couple times this winter I've had to re-autostart to complete the defrosting it's taken so long.

I see there is a block heater sold on the Chevy Accessories page. It states it has a thermostat and I've read that they may only work when below zero. This wouldn't help me much as I'd like to use it in "warmer" temps that are below freezing.

Can anyone confirm the thermostat temp?

Thanks!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better late, than never. Maybe...
Something is not right, if it takes that long to get up to temp.

Clogged heater core is a good possibility, especially if the cooling system was neglected that whole time.

If not heater core...

One of the key parts in the process is a good functioning water pump.
I don't know if GM used steel or plastic impellers, but a water pump with a broken or rusted-off impeller would prevent circulation through the system.

The pump is important in the summer to cool, but also important in winter to circulate heat through the heater core.

That is where I would be looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844