Anyone do a replacement (lemon) vehicle with GM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drmoose

Reaction score
I am in the final stages of getting a replacement vehicle, and wondered about a couple things.

First, how exactly was your usage calculated? Obviously it will depend on miles, but what did they use as the start point? My problems started basically 500mi after purchase (60+ days in for service the first year), but when I finally said enough is enough it was 9 months in, after the transmission needed to be fixed. So I am thinking the usage calculation I got from them was based on that mileage.

Second, when I got the offer letter for the buyback, there was an upgrade charge, which was way more than the difference between the new vehicle and the old (options-wise). I can only assume that they are charging me for the price difference between the 2021 and the 2022, which on the one hand I can see, since I am getting a brand new vehicle with a lot more value. OTOH, it is basically the same exact vehicle (except for the 2 config differences I made), and so I guess I feel like it should be valued the exact same.

Finally, one of the options that I selected when configuring was mud flaps (which I assume I am being charged for). However, I added those after-market to the one I am handing back to them, and I feel they should reimburse me for that cost. Anyone hove any experience with these issues?

I am basically getting a brand new build vehicle after driving the one they are replacing for 15 months (and putting 22k miles on), so I do feel a bit sheepish trying to make an issue about these things. But OTOH I don't want to pay more than I need to given the fact that I got a really problematic vehicle to start (electronics failure, 2 sides of lifters, transmission head unit replacement). They are charging me $1k for the usage, and $2200 for unspecified "upgrades" (assuming the model year) I am doing this without an attorney, and am wondering if that was a good idea - I am guessing an attorney could make those charges disappear, and their cost...

thx!

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the final stages of getting a replacement vehicle, and wondered about a couple things.

First, how exactly was your usage calculated? Obviously it will depend on miles, but what did they use as the start point? My problems started basically 500mi after purchase (60+ days in for service the first year), but when I finally said enough is enough it was 9 months in, after the transmission needed to be fixed. So I am thinking the usage calculation I got from them was based on that mileage.

Second, when I got the offer letter for the buyback, there was an upgrade charge, which was way more than the difference between the new vehicle and the old (options-wise). I can only assume that they are charging me for the price difference between the 2021 and the 2022, which on the one hand I can see, since I am getting a brand new vehicle with a lot more value. OTOH, it is basically the same exact vehicle (except for the 2 config differences I made), and so I guess I feel like it should be valued the exact same.

Finally, one of the options that I selected when configuring was mud flaps (which I assume I am being charged for). However, I added those after-market to the one I am handing back to them, and I feel they should reimburse me for that cost. Anyone hove any experience with these issues?

I am basically getting a brand new build vehicle after driving the one they are replacing for 15 months (and putting 22k miles on), so I do feel a bit sheepish trying to make an issue about these things. But OTOH I don't want to pay more than I need to given the fact that I got a really problematic vehicle to start (electronics failure, 2 sides of lifters, transmission head unit replacement). They are charging me $1k for the usage, and $2200 for unspecified "upgrades" (assuming the model year) I am doing this without an attorney, and am wondering if that was a good idea - I am guessing an attorney could make those charges disappear, and their cost...

thx!
huh you got 22k miles for almost nothing stop complaining

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

thx!
If you are invoking your state’s Lemon Law, make sure you understand what it says as they are not all the same.

That being said, on the the surface, their offer seems reasonable to me, but you need to make that call.

There have been a couple folks here that have posted about their experience with invoking their state’ Lemon Law, but I can’t recall who they were.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score

thx!
May want to ask some questions about sales tax. Hopefully this looks like a trade in, not a full purchase…could add a ton of costs….but $2200 for 22k miles is $0.10/mile depreciation…pretty damn good!

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
They are charging me $1k for the usage, and $2200 for unspecified "upgrades" (assuming the model year) I am doing this without an attorney, and am wondering if that was a good idea - I am guessing an attorney could make those charges disappear, and their cost...

Good luck hiring a competent attorney who’s only benefit to you would be trying to save you $3,200…seems like you gotten this far on your own without one….

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd look at it as getting a full refund for your lemon and buying the new 2022. The cost is about right on this. An attorney might have gotten a full replacement but I'm not sure who pays the legal fees. I wonder how long it will take to actually get the new replacement too?

And I'd add it's a darn shame you had to go through all this on a top tier GM vehicle.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see where you're coming from, and can also see how some could potentially think you're being petty...

The $1K usage seems more than fair.

If the mud flaps on the rig you're handing over are aftermarket and will fit your new rig, then I'd remove them so you can install them on the new rig. Sounds like maybe you already added the optional mudflaps from the dealer, so if you can change that cool, if not let it ride. I'd still inquire about getting the ones you installed returned back to you. The dealership isn't giving you anything for them and they probably won't even know. If your vehicle is at the dealer then I'd just simply ask them if they'd unbolt them for you so you can have them back.

The $2,200 for "unspecified upgrades" would probably be the only cost you could question because based on your description it seems even though you made 2 configuration changes you did not select $2,200 worth of options/upgrades on the replacement vehicle. Them using the term "unspecified" just sounds way too vague.

The vagueness of the description just screams BS to me personally. Even if you were to inquire about it, I'm not sure I would approach it with any sort of expectation that it's going to be reduced or go away. Which makes it almost not worth questioning?

Because if/when you inquire about it I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they feed you a line of ******** and it is in fact their way of making a "market adjustment" for the exchange and/or covering their overhead costs of this "process". Which if it is, then shame on them given the situation.

I'm in fact quite impressed and surprised that you've made it this far in the process without an attorney. I'm sure the process ate up a bunch of your time, was beyond frustrating, and was an uphill battle the whole way. Which is why I could understand you saying wtf am I going to pay $2,200 in "unspecified upgrades" for? Which based on their response or how they justify it maybe just maybe you might be able to negotiate that down some. But I would have zero expectation to do so.

You've made it this far without an attorney. Furthermore, at this point adding an attorney to the equation is only going to muddy the waters, prolong the process, and potentially cost you more $. Whether you want to admit it or not you already know this and so does the dealership.

Like @tom3 said I'd look at it as you're only paying $3,200 for getting to use your 2021 for 22K miles and getting a new 2022 which really isn't that bad at all.

OP
OP
D

drmoose

Reaction score
thanks for the input everyone., I am not losing any sleep over anything - it is a good value, just airing some thoughts.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@drmoose we are going through this right now, still working on getting an order in. However, in our state we are only responsible for anything over MSRP on the new vehicle, they can not charge us for usage, and have to cover all fees with the state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645