Any tips on tinting front windows?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
I picked up some 20% from a local place and attempted to put it on. The driver window got a tear near the bottom and catches every time i put it down the the passenger window is too short and really foggy. I guess it was because i used windex witch i just found out it bad. Anyway. Do you guys have any tips on how to slip the tint in all the cracks. Maybe we can make this a write up.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tinting is harder than most people think...

Instead of windex, most will either use baby powder or a little bit of baby shampoo mixed with water

Are you cutting it yourself or is it a pre-cut piece?

If it's pre-cut, crack your window a few inches, soak the window, and apply to the top. Squeegee the top so it sticks, then work your way down.

If it's just a piece of tint your cutting yourself, go somewhere and have it done by a professional. Lifetime warranty, done in minutes, and should be $25 or less per window...

OP
OP
AquinoSteven

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
Yeah this was not pre cut. I think if i did it again i would have gotten it right. The tint was only $15 so its not that big of a deal to pull off.

emay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
50:1 mix of no more tears baby shampoo and water - the pros even recommend it. The mix should not bubble at all, if it does, dilute it until it doesn't. Use any sort of sprayer for applying - left over windex bottle works fine.

As for getting the sizing right, remove the interior door panel so you can tint below the rubber/felt mole skin edge by 1/4 to 1/2 inch. This will eliminate the potential for anything to catch and pull.

OP
OP
AquinoSteven

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
I there a write up somewhere on how to pull the door panel off. I have a feeling that i would mess it up. haha

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tint is one thing I refuse to mess with....too complicated for me

I there a write up somewhere on how to pull the door panel off. I have a feeling that i would mess it up. haha

I think there's one on GMFS, lemme see if I can find it

Can't find it,sorry

Last edited:
OP
OP
AquinoSteven

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
Damn thats a good price, my friend had just his 2 fronts done for that much.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

I remember i had to pull part of the rear door off and it was the biggest ***** to get back on. I really really really rather not pull the door off but is it saves me $150, why not.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
My privacy glass from the factory is already pushing legal limits here, and they love to use the tint laws for pulling people over. Thankfully they can't ticket me for OEM glass. My way is cheap....leave it alone. It's pretty dark as is.

ROBERTOcritser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some local shop said they would do my front 2 to match the rest of the factory tint THEN on top of all windows again with same tint PLUS a brow for $150 so it would be dark as hell. Ill get it eventually. just not my main concern right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz