Any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning I remote started my 18 Tahoe and noticed intermittent ticking? After warmed up it was gone. Beginning of lifter problem? It has 17k miles. I use range to disable AFM from 7k miles. Burns no oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dubyagee01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems too fast for a lifter at that rpm. Almost sounds like a leaking exhaust manifold. Are all of the manifold bolts there?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Seems to come and go, so I think it is a lifter noise. When I have heard the exhaust manifold leaks they seem to be very constant.

OP
OP
Bob2C

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like lifter tic to me but really hard to say, when was the last time it had a oil change?, i'm not a firm believer in these 5k plus oil changes I do mine like every 3k

Oil changed 2800 miles ago. I usually do it around 3500. It was just weird. Never heard it before. Something to keep my eye on

iras1976

Reaction score
Oil changed 2800 miles ago. I usually do it around 3500. It was just weird. Never heard it before. Something to keep my eye on

I've had my lifters go bad and that's definitely a lifter noise . Before it totally shit on itself, I would get that intermittent tic for about 30 k . I even went to the dealership and they tried to tell me that the injectors are loud on these vehicles and that's all that it was , I knew it was bs , and of course the engine went full retard after after my powertrain warranty expired.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

iras1976

Reaction score
I've had my lifters go bad and that's definitely a lifter noise . Before it totally shit on itself, I would get that intermittent tic for about 30 k . I even went to the dealership and they tried to tell me that the injectors are loud on these vehicles and that's all that it was , I knew it was bs , and of course the engine went full retard after after my powertrain warranty expired.

It's tough, we know that that the dealership isnt going to say " here sir , here's a new engine on the house " . I think that the best thing that you can do is to go to where you purchased the vehicle and TELL them that the truck has bad lifters .Say engine/lifter problem when you make the appointment so that it's on paper , get a second opinion on paper from a reputable shop when they bs you, then call the gm headquarters and complain about issue so that it's on file there.

The only thing you can really do is to try to cover your ass and make the issue well known and documented while the vehicle is under warranty. One of my buddies with the same 2015 suburban that I have was able to get a lifter changed under the powertrain warranty, but his truck would stall and and get a check engine light . The warranty was also up to 100k back then. Moral of the story, have this issue well documented at its current mileage.

James Ward

2015 Tahoe LT
Reaction score
This morning I remote started my 18 Tahoe and noticed intermittent ticking? After warmed up it was gone. Beginning of lifter problem? It has 17k miles. I use range to disable AFM from 7k miles. Burns no oil.

For what's worth, Mine does the same thing, but you have to keep in mind that you have 0W/20 motor oil. So long as you use a top brand oil, (I use Mobil-I ? ) but that is DEXO'S approved specs . So ?SANY0107.JPG

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like mine this morning in cold New Jersey. Overall quiet when it is warmed up. The Tahoe sat in a garage in Brooklyn for 6 hours and was overall quiet on start up at that time. Do not notice that noise that much in hot humid Miami. When in the vehicle with the windows up can not hear a thing.

Makes that noise using 0w20 Mobil 1 EP or 0w20 AC Delco.

The stupid dealer by mistake [Schumacher Chevrolet in Palm Beach Florida] put 5w30 in by mistake awhile back. The noise was much worse until I took it out a week later and put 0w20 back in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore