Amp power through grommet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We’re slowly upgrading my son’s ‘05 Tahoe sound system. It has the Bose system. Last week we added a Pioneer head unit and kept the Bose amp, speakers, retained steering wheel controls etc. it sounds so much better with simply adding a good head unit

We’re now ready to get his single 10 installed. It’ll be in the rear in a sealed enclosure being pushed by a Kicker 300x1 mono amp. We already have everything including the 4 gauge power wire. I wanna run it through the grommet like this guy did (without slicing a hole in it). My question is this….when I go to slide the power cable through the grommet from the engine side to the cab side, will I be hitting other stuff inside with the wire, and is there a similar grommet directly on the other side? This guys made it sound like once he got the grommet up and over the power wire in the engine bay, it just slid right on into the cab. I’m just trying to get an idea of what headaches I may run into. I don’t like being anywhere near the factory harness ha

1663297235320.jpeg

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have regrets about pushing wires through my factory grommet in the firewall.

I put through wires for a CB radio, and something else. I took it apart twice and now it's falling apart. The factory grommet SUCKS for adding things. There are some aftermarket ones for boats that are AWESOME.

In hindsight, I wish I had located where a master cylinder goes on firewall for a manual truck... then cut a hole where that would be and put a new grommet for my stuff.

FYI ~ I upgraded my speakers and kept everything else stock. Sounds AWESOME. I put in all kicker speakers... I think the sub was kicker as well, but not sure, it was tricky to find a 4 ohm sub (or 8 ohm whatever it is).

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have regrets about pushing wires through my factory grommet in the firewall.

I put through wires for a CB radio, and something else. I took it apart twice and now it's falling apart. The factory grommet SUCKS for adding things. There are some aftermarket ones for boats that are AWESOME.

In hindsight, I wish I had located where a master cylinder goes on firewall for a manual truck... then cut a hole where that would be and put a new grommet for my stuff.

FYI ~ I upgraded my speakers and kept everything else stock. Sounds AWESOME. I put in all kicker speakers... I think the sub was kicker as well, but not sure, it was tricky to find a 4 ohm sub (or 8 ohm whatever it is).
I’m not following what you’re saying. The large grommet itself fell apart? Is it not just a big rubber plunger looking thing?

And as far as your speakers go….do you have Bose, and did you keep it? If so, are your kicker speakers 2ohm like the factory Bose ones? If they’re 4ohm, did you notice a drop in loudness?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran mine down to that brake chamber area and down the frame to the middle of the driver's side floor and came through the boot the parking brake comes through.

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran mine down to that brake chamber area and down the frame to the middle of the driver's side floor and came through the boot the parking brake comes through.
I don’t think I know where you are referring to. You by chance have any pics or can you find google pics of what you’re talking about? I’d definitely consider other options

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think I know where you are referring to. You by chance have any pics or can you find google pics of what you’re talking about? I’d definitely consider other options

Just look under your driver's floor and see if there is a grommet. It may be the shift cable that goes through the floor I can't remember which. Can't find a pic or video of the damned thing sorry.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re slowly upgrading my son’s ‘05 Tahoe sound system. It has the Bose system. Last week we added a Pioneer head unit and kept the Bose amp, speakers, retained steering wheel controls etc. it sounds so much better with simply adding a good head unit

We’re now ready to get his single 10 installed. It’ll be in the rear in a sealed enclosure being pushed by a Kicker 300x1 mono amp. We already have everything including the 4 gauge power wire. I wanna run it through the grommet like this guy did (without slicing a hole in it). My question is this….when I go to slide the power cable through the grommet from the engine side to the cab side, will I be hitting other stuff inside with the wire, and is there a similar grommet directly on the other side? This guys made it sound like once he got the grommet up and over the power wire in the engine bay, it just slid right on into the cab. I’m just trying to get an idea of what headaches I may run into. I don’t like being anywhere near the factory harness ha

View attachment 380666
I have done it a few different ways, getting it in the grommet as pictured is no easy task, lube is needed after you have got it started thru otherwise you are fighting yourself. It's easier to just make a slice with a razor blade by the arrow instead. Either way once you have it fed thru a little you can grab it from the other side and pull it will tend to get hung up on something at first so you will need a helper or go back n forth. I have also drilled a hole in the firewall right above the grommet and gone thru that way and I have simply ran it from the battery under the truck along the frame and up in the back instead.
making a slice in the rubber is easiest you don't have to worry about anything water does not get up there at all and if you take it swimming that deep then you will have many other issues to worry about instead of a hole in the grommet.
Also note that you will probably want to continue running the power wire down the drivers side, simple enough. RCA's (shielded) will need to be ran down the passenger side if you run them together with the power wire you will get feedback from the electrical system and end up with buzzing or high pitched whine.
if you option to run them under the carpet instead use a metal coat hanger or a wire feeder device

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done it a few different ways, getting it in the grommet as pictured is no easy task, lube is needed after you have got it started thru otherwise you are fighting yourself. It's easier to just make a slice with a razor blade by the arrow instead. Either way once you have it fed thru a little you can grab it from the other side and pull it will tend to get hung up on something at first so you will need a helper or go back n forth. I have also drilled a hole in the firewall right above the grommet and gone thru that way and I have simply ran it from the battery under the truck along the frame and up in the back instead.
making a slice in the rubber is easiest you don't have to worry about anything water does not get up there at all and if you take it swimming that deep then you will have many other issues to worry about instead of a hole in the grommet.
Also note that you will probably want to continue running the power wire down the drivers side, simple enough. RCA's (shielded) will need to be ran down the passenger side if you run them together with the power wire you will get feedback from the electrical system and end up with buzzing or high pitched whine.
if you option to run them under the carpet instead use a metal coat hanger or a wire feeder device
I appreciate the response.

To give you an idea, we’re running 4 gauge. It’s a single 10. My plan is run power down driver side since battery is front left and run my RCA down passenger side to middle row since we’re mounting amp under driver side middle row seat. I thought about trying to run it along frame and bring it up into middle row, but I got a fuel tank in the way. I think I may revisit the punch marks where a master cylinder would’ve been

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the response.

To give you an idea, we’re running 4 gauge. It’s a single 10. My plan is run power down driver side since battery is front left and run my RCA down passenger side to middle row since we’re mounting amp under driver side middle row seat. I thought about trying to run it along frame and bring it up into middle row, but I got a fuel tank in the way. I think I may revisit the punch marks where a master cylinder would’ve been
you can fit it thru the grommet but use a blunt tool to kind of stretch it out first anything sharp will poke the wire harness, then lube it with like wd40 or something as you feed it thru, having the assistance of a 2nd person helps a lot. one person to pull from the inside and the other to spray and feed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holzl88