Alright ya'll, I need some guidance...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Derick

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys. I have spent so much time on this, but I executed on a sale and she's a doozy.

2019 Ram 2500 6.4L gasser;
20221216_101034.jpg

She's a beast. Certified Pre Owned (yeah I know its used, why it gotta be "certified???"), with 64k miles out of california. So, I'm laughing at myself, because I was figuring a chevy 2500, something round like 12-13k towing capacity....well I goggled this after I was going home today....17 thousand pounds rofl. I dont need that! It works out ok if I get a camper in the future or something along those lines.

I actually rode my goldwing down to louisville yesterday with the intent on purchasing the truck, and then going to get a uhaul trailer and towing the bike home. Fine and all...but by the time the deal was ready it was nearly 5p and the only uhaul dealer with a 1 way utility trailer was closing. So, I took the truck home last night, and hooked up my enclosed trailer to go down and get the goldwing today. I literally did not feel the trailer back there at all. That 6.4 GOOOES. Anyhow I'll still come by, but I wont really be around much. You guys are a solid bunch of people and I learned a lot around here on the chevy platforms over the years so I thank you for that.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good move I think. Heavy duty truck with some assurance that it's ready to go. The rental didn't sound that good and those oil field vehicles might have sat around idling all day in the mud and sludge. But I'd sure get under the Ram and really inspect and clean around the upper rear wheel wells, those areas seem to rust out on the transport from the factory here in the snow belt.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys. I have spent so much time on this, but I executed on a sale and she's a doozy.

2019 Ram 2500 6.4L gasser;
View attachment 387576

She's a beast. Certified Pre Owned (yeah I know its used, why it gotta be "certified???"), with 64k miles out of california. So, I'm laughing at myself, because I was figuring a chevy 2500, something round like 12-13k towing capacity....well I goggled this after I was going home today....17 thousand pounds rofl. I dont need that! It works out ok if I get a camper in the future or something along those lines.

I actually rode my goldwing down to louisville yesterday with the intent on purchasing the truck, and then going to get a uhaul trailer and towing the bike home. Fine and all...but by the time the deal was ready it was nearly 5p and the only uhaul dealer with a 1 way utility trailer was closing. So, I took the truck home last night, and hooked up my enclosed trailer to go down and get the goldwing today. I literally did not feel the trailer back there at all. That 6.4 GOOOES. Anyhow I'll still come by, but I wont really be around much. You guys are a solid bunch of people and I learned a lot around here on the chevy platforms over the years so I thank you for that.

I've got a Mazda CX-5 that was a CPO and it came with an extended warranty. I don't know if it was my dealer or that is normal. A couple of small dings but otherwise it looked good. Being 3 years old, it probably just came off lease. Those have to be in really good shape or the leasee loses their deposit.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck Derick. For various reasons, lot of folks come back to GM after a stint with the RAM. We had a new 1500 recently with all the bells and whistles and it was fast but rode like a dump truck and did not find the seats comfortable to my liking.

Please give us a review after a few months of ownership. Take care and Merry Christmas!

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck Derick. For various reasons, lot of folks come back to GM after a stint with the RAM. We had a new 1500 recently with all the bells and whistles and it was fast but rode like a dump truck and did not find the seats comfortable to my liking.

Please give us a review after a few months of ownership. Take care and Merry Christmas!

I've had good luck with both Dodge and GM. Fords, not so much. Note I said Dodge. I've had newer Ram trucks and didn't care for them but they were beaters I resurrected. My current Dodge is a pre-Daimler vehicle. After the Germans looted the research funds, well, I don't plan to buy a new one anymore.

My current Dodge is one I plan to keep until either I can't drive anymore or someone offers me a LOT of money for it.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, ya'll around here know the chevy platform and I'm posing a "what would you do" type thread.

I have been on the lookout for a new 'work truck' type vehicle for me. This is a secondary vehicle for me, mostly because I've got a bit of a compulsion for having reduntant 'things.' Anyhow most of you know I had a 2007 Suburban 2500 for several years. I went 2500 because a buddy had talked me up in to getting a 2500 platform truck when I had my camper. Did I need it? Eh, probably not. It did tow my camper more confidently than my sequoia 4.7 did but I didn't keep the camper long at all. I've been keeping it around as a work truck that can store my tools and ladder and everything. I also pull my 14" enclosed trailer with my goldwing and other bikes.

I sold the suburban a bit ago, and am looking to get its replacement. I've been so wishy washy on this decision. I started looking for 2500HD truck. They can be found in my budget, usually off commercial work. Looking for 2018+, Less than 75k miles, around 30k. Each of those is fluid. I spent yesterday driving 3 states, and hitting 4 dealers. All not to mention that I've talked with several various dealers online and in other states. I'm looking, neigh, demanding a rust free vehicle. So, I'm willing to go to AZ, NM, NV, etc to get something clean.

So that brings us to this thread. Yesterday I was down in KY and checked out a 2020 Silverado 1500. It was a rental for 2 years, and has about 48k miles. By the book, I feel like this is a better fit. It's newer, less miles, I can get an extended warranty. There are two available, both black, one is 66k miles, the other that I chose was 48k miles. The 48k mile unit has a rattling underneath, and a P0420 and P0430 cat codes. It has a date with the chevy dealer this coming week, likely for new cats. Either way it will come back solid, and even has the remaining 5 year, 60k power train warranty. It would likely meet my towing needs just fine. 9000# trailer capcity, and 1800# tongue weight. That said, those little 2pc leaf springs look like wussy tbh. I put a $500 deposit on the 48k mile 1500 unit.

However, I keep coming back to the 2500HDs. I know how to fix them, sorta. I can do joints, shocks, brakes, maintenance, and the like. I know the 6.0 will likely never die. Hell, in the Suburban, I felt like I brought it back to life and got rid of the lifter tick at 130k miles, and she was fine at 202k. There's a dealer out in ABQ that gets trucks from texas, likely the oil fields. He has 8 or 10 in right now, but hand picked 3 for me. The one I'm keen on is a 2018, with 66k miles. I'd have to fly and ride. Or pay to have it hauled home, but then I wouldnt have the opportunity to see it before I paid for it. Has a brush guard, and a tool box, which is nice toss in stuff. I might also ask if they would let me keep one of the laptop mounts that they have pulled from their trucks. I have a ram mount unit that I will install, but if I can at least get the base plate that would save me 150-200 bucks.

Anyhow, what would you do in this situation. Would you go with the newer, "cooler" 1500....or stick with ole reliable? The 2500 is a little over budget, and I can't really get eyes on it until I go to buy it. The deposit is refundable...but even if it wasn't I would sacrifice it to get a vehicle that best meets my needs.
Personally I'd stick with the 2500. They are well built trucks with a fantastic drive train. No AFM crap, just good simple V8

OP
OP
Derick

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score

hahah @ Dump truck...thats how my suburban was! I think if I was going from a suburban 1500, then to this ram 2500, I could see a complaint of ride quality. However......In comparing everything to the suburban, and thus far has been wholly superior. Ride quality? Just as shit. Gas mileage? Just as shit. Accessories? Uconnect and android auto is pretty cool. Towing capacity? Hands down goes to the ram. 2.5x times the capacity? Yes please. But, I'm comparing an 11 year old suburban (when I bought it) for $8700, to a 3 year old truck for $40,000. It ain't apples to apples....

What I do know now is that I can confidently, without question, tow my camping gear, my trailer, and my motorcycle to wherever I want to go. So, I foresee a bunch of trips in the coming summers with my son.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop