Alright ya'll, I need some guidance...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, ya'll around here know the chevy platform and I'm posing a "what would you do" type thread.

I have been on the lookout for a new 'work truck' type vehicle for me. This is a secondary vehicle for me, mostly because I've got a bit of a compulsion for having reduntant 'things.' Anyhow most of you know I had a 2007 Suburban 2500 for several years. I went 2500 because a buddy had talked me up in to getting a 2500 platform truck when I had my camper. Did I need it? Eh, probably not. It did tow my camper more confidently than my sequoia 4.7 did but I didn't keep the camper long at all. I've been keeping it around as a work truck that can store my tools and ladder and everything. I also pull my 14" enclosed trailer with my goldwing and other bikes.

I sold the suburban a bit ago, and am looking to get its replacement. I've been so wishy washy on this decision. I started looking for 2500HD truck. They can be found in my budget, usually off commercial work. Looking for 2018+, Less than 75k miles, around 30k. Each of those is fluid. I spent yesterday driving 3 states, and hitting 4 dealers. All not to mention that I've talked with several various dealers online and in other states. I'm looking, neigh, demanding a rust free vehicle. So, I'm willing to go to AZ, NM, NV, etc to get something clean.

So that brings us to this thread. Yesterday I was down in KY and checked out a 2020 Silverado 1500. It was a rental for 2 years, and has about 48k miles. By the book, I feel like this is a better fit. It's newer, less miles, I can get an extended warranty. There are two available, both black, one is 66k miles, the other that I chose was 48k miles. The 48k mile unit has a rattling underneath, and a P0420 and P0430 cat codes. It has a date with the chevy dealer this coming week, likely for new cats. Either way it will come back solid, and even has the remaining 5 year, 60k power train warranty. It would likely meet my towing needs just fine. 9000# trailer capcity, and 1800# tongue weight. That said, those little 2pc leaf springs look like wussy tbh. I put a $500 deposit on the 48k mile 1500 unit.

However, I keep coming back to the 2500HDs. I know how to fix them, sorta. I can do joints, shocks, brakes, maintenance, and the like. I know the 6.0 will likely never die. Hell, in the Suburban, I felt like I brought it back to life and got rid of the lifter tick at 130k miles, and she was fine at 202k. There's a dealer out in ABQ that gets trucks from texas, likely the oil fields. He has 8 or 10 in right now, but hand picked 3 for me. The one I'm keen on is a 2018, with 66k miles. I'd have to fly and ride. Or pay to have it hauled home, but then I wouldnt have the opportunity to see it before I paid for it. Has a brush guard, and a tool box, which is nice toss in stuff. I might also ask if they would let me keep one of the laptop mounts that they have pulled from their trucks. I have a ram mount unit that I will install, but if I can at least get the base plate that would save me 150-200 bucks.

Anyhow, what would you do in this situation. Would you go with the newer, "cooler" 1500....or stick with ole reliable? The 2500 is a little over budget, and I can't really get eyes on it until I go to buy it. The deposit is refundable...but even if it wasn't I would sacrifice it to get a vehicle that best meets my needs.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, ya'll around here know the chevy platform and I'm posing a "what would you do" type thread.

I have been on the lookout for a new 'work truck' type vehicle for me. This is a secondary vehicle for me, mostly because I've got a bit of a compulsion for having reduntant 'things.' Anyhow most of you know I had a 2007 Suburban 2500 for several years. I went 2500 because a buddy had talked me up in to getting a 2500 platform truck when I had my camper. Did I need it? Eh, probably not. It did tow my camper more confidently than my sequoia 4.7 did but I didn't keep the camper long at all. I've been keeping it around as a work truck that can store my tools and ladder and everything. I also pull my 14" enclosed trailer with my goldwing and other bikes.

I sold the suburban a bit ago, and am looking to get its replacement. I've been so wishy washy on this decision. I started looking for 2500HD truck. They can be found in my budget, usually off commercial work. Looking for 2018+, Less than 75k miles, around 30k. Each of those is fluid. I spent yesterday driving 3 states, and hitting 4 dealers. All not to mention that I've talked with several various dealers online and in other states. I'm looking, neigh, demanding a rust free vehicle. So, I'm willing to go to AZ, NM, NV, etc to get something clean.

So that brings us to this thread. Yesterday I was down in KY and checked out a 2020 Silverado 1500. It was a rental for 2 years, and has about 48k miles. By the book, I feel like this is a better fit. It's newer, less miles, I can get an extended warranty. There are two available, both black, one is 66k miles, the other that I chose was 48k miles. The 48k mile unit has a rattling underneath, and a P0420 and P0430 cat codes. It has a date with the chevy dealer this coming week, likely for new cats. Either way it will come back solid, and even has the remaining 5 year, 60k power train warranty. It would likely meet my towing needs just fine. 9000# trailer capcity, and 1800# tongue weight. That said, those little 2pc leaf springs look like wussy tbh. I put a $500 deposit on the 48k mile 1500 unit.

However, I keep coming back to the 2500HDs. I know how to fix them, sorta. I can do joints, shocks, brakes, maintenance, and the like. I know the 6.0 will likely never die. Hell, in the Suburban, I felt like I brought it back to life and got rid of the lifter tick at 130k miles, and she was fine at 202k. There's a dealer out in ABQ that gets trucks from texas, likely the oil fields. He has 8 or 10 in right now, but hand picked 3 for me. The one I'm keen on is a 2018, with 66k miles. I'd have to fly and ride. Or pay to have it hauled home, but then I wouldnt have the opportunity to see it before I paid for it. Has a brush guard, and a tool box, which is nice toss in stuff. I might also ask if they would let me keep one of the laptop mounts that they have pulled from their trucks. I have a ram mount unit that I will install, but if I can at least get the base plate that would save me 150-200 bucks.

Anyhow, what would you do in this situation. Would you go with the newer, "cooler" 1500....or stick with ole reliable? The 2500 is a little over budget, and I can't really get eyes on it until I go to buy it. The deposit is refundable...but even if it wasn't I would sacrifice it to get a vehicle that best meets my needs.
What do you do for work? I vote none of the above, get a van….

My express 3500 is no different than a 2500 suburban or pick up. Suspension parts are pretty much the same… hell I post most of my issues in this forum because the express platform is pretty much right in line with the Gm full size truck platform that this forum lives for.

I do have a Yukon too but I don’t do anything fun with it. So it rarely makes an appearance here.

OP
OP
Derick

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote none of the above, get a van….
I have thought about a van. I think it truly is the most useful option...however I dont really want a van. I feel like the serviceability isnt as great. I'm sure they use the same parts and all, but I just dont want a van. And last, getting a 3500 with 4x4 is a pretty heafty feat if I understand things correctly about the availability of them.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thought about a van. I think it truly is the most useful option...however I dont really want a van. I feel like the serviceability isnt as great. I'm sure they use the same parts and all, but I just dont want a van. And last, getting a 3500 with 4x4 is a pretty heafty feat if I understand things correctly about the availability of them.
I guess I missed the part about 4x4. I think it’s easier to get a passenger van with 4x4 than the cargo vans for some reason. And if you go for the passenger van then you might as well stick with the suburban lol. I was just thinking work and tools. I tried numerous truck configurations before I bought a van. I haven’t looked back. Good luck on your search

OP
OP
Derick

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I missed the part about 4x4. I think it’s easier to get a passenger van with 4x4 than the cargo vans for some reason. And if you go for the passenger van then you might as well stick with the suburban lol. I was just thinking work and tools. I tried numerous truck configurations before I bought a van. I haven’t looked back. Good luck on your search
I didn't specifically mention 4x4 but its also going to be my winter ride, so 4x4 is in.

I would LOVE a surburban again. It's the right vehicle for me. But the anemic 3.08 isnt going to work for my towing needs.

03X2

Reaction score
That's the plan. I passed on a 2500HD with a matching silver cap. It was a little rougher than I wanted, so I passed. It was sold in 2 days. Been the story of my life. Vehicle sits on a lot for 30-90 days......I inquire about it, sold within 2-48 hours.
I thought I was the only one things like that happened to - property for sale for over two years- I inquired about it on a Sunday- someone bought it the Tuesday after…

OP
OP
Derick

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I was the only one things like that happened to - property for sale for over two years- I inquired about it on a Sunday- someone bought it the Tuesday after…
Hahah, it started with the first truck I inquired on here in a suburb of indy. Call at 10a to see if its available, it is, and its been sitting for weeks, I call again before I leave (burned before), and its sold.... dammmiiitttt lol.

It was perfect for my needs too. It was a silverado 1500 wt w/ tow package, like 44k miles or something super low. Only wanted 21k for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons