Airbag light DIY or send it to the dealer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Watch the video I posted and note Eric's negative remarks about the Dorman sensors. For a part like this, I'd shop Rock Auto (if they would ship to me, but they don't) or Amazon. Google the part number and see what comes up.

EDIT: I see that RA doesn't offer the GM part, just Dorman and one other aftermarket mfr., which I would avoid.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
@Fless I am more of an OEM parts guy actually, so I’m good with that recommendation. I don’t mind being frugal on fluff, but on something like this...

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but have somewhat similar issue. I just finished fixing many miscellaneous issues in my 2010 Tahoe that I rebuilt 6 years ago and noticed DTC B1019 Symptom 3A Supplinental Inflatable Restrain Incorrect Component Installed when running Tech2. There are bulletins that state it might be a lose connection, parking brake issue, seatbeal sensors, etc. Mitchell OnDemand states it might be an impact sensor. Some info online states might need to reset an SDM since it probably has crash data. The vehicle was salvaged, but air bags were never deployed. There is no lights on the dash. Both seatbelts work as they should when passenger are present and absent. Passenger airbag light in overhead cluster switched on/off properly. Any one has any suggestions on where and what to look for?impact was to the left rear. Thanks.

Edit: After posting this went directly into BCM and eraser the DTC and did not come back–wierd as I was never able to clear it from the overall DTC scan screen.
8038195cdd135413f762a383d77afef2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
@TahoeLT10 from the experience of my brother’s purchase of a salvage vehicle, some people pull sketchy stuff and will install parts that physically fit, but are not the correct SRS item. Were there any repairs to the SRS before you bought it?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In the video in post #16, Eric indicates that some aftermarket impact sensors will set this code. Not sure if that's your issue, but you may want to visually inspect the sensors to see if they're not OE.

rrosen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had the exact same problem (2008 Yukon Denali XL). Left front sensor. Replaced, reset code, problem fixed. Remember to disconnect battery and let sit for a while before working on air bag system. I also turned on light to make sure to drain any residual power. Then had to go through that weird secret menu set up to get clock working right again. Not hard to do.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious to see what the scanner says. I have worked on the SRS system, found a broken wire under the seat going to the SDS module.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
@Rocket Man I’m concerned about wiring faults particularly myself, and not just in the SRS. This is a decommissioned SSV, and when they took out all the police gear someone got busy with wire cutters. The front seats are not what it was built with either. I’ve got interesting things going on with the headlights and taillights, and the dash illumination has a mind of it’s own.

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@TahoeLT10 from the experience of my brother’s purchase of a salvage vehicle, some people pull sketchy stuff and will install parts that physically fit, but are not the correct SRS item. Were there any repairs to the SRS before you bought it?
The repairs were done by me and a friend in his shop 6 so so years ago we we did not do anything but replace rear fender, bumper, adjust a frame slightly, paint and later I replaced the entire differential as the axle was bent. I eared the code yesterday and it did not come back right away. Will test later after driving.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
@TahoeLT10 no worries if you did the restoration yourself. I’m surprised insurance wrote off the vehicle for that little damage. Great find!