Airbag light DIY or send it to the dealer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Or something in between?

Here's the story: I bought this 2008 SSV last week, knowing it had a myriad of fault codes. I've gotten everything fixed and cleared up except the "service airbag system".

Option 1 (and what I would normally default to) is buy a Tech 2 scanner or similar and fix it myself.

The only reason I'm hesitant is a. zero experience working on this system; and b. not knowing if the system is just broken or if it's been tampered with. Case in point, a relative purchased another model Chevy used, only to find out later the driver's airbag had been removed and replaced with an incorrect part, and the perpetrator installed some resistors or some such to attempt to trick the computer into accepting the bogus part.
My SSV bounced around between auctions for a couple of years between when the cops retired it and I took ownership. Who knows what's been stripped off, stolen, or swapped in that time.

Given that with airbags, you don't get any practice runs to see if they work correctly or not, I'm leaning toward taking this to a dealer for a complete inspection and assessment of the airbag system.

Your thoughts or experience?

Thanks!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
like Jason stated the most common failure is the front impact sensors, they corrode from inside and swell and crack, you can sometimes see it visually by looking under the front bumper mount, otherwie a scanner will confirm the code. there not cheap around $100 each but not hard to do, just remove and replace.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've had airbag codes read at an Advance Auto; check with your local parts place to see if the code reader they have is capable of SRS codes. Get the code(s) (reset?) and go from there to make your decision. Doesn't cost you anything but a little time and you'll be much more educated about the issue.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had airbag codes read at an Advance Auto; check with your local parts place to see if the code reader they have is capable of SRS codes. Get the code(s) (reset?) and go from there to make your decision. Doesn't cost you anything but a little time and you'll be much more educated about the issue.
airbag codes self reset once the problem is fixed, you can clear it but it will come right back if the problem is not fixed, they are not obd codes, they are srs just like abs codes are not obd either, even though they are read thru the obd port.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
airbag codes self reset once the problem is fixed, you can clear it but it will come right back if the problem is not fixed, they are not obd codes, they are srs just like abs codes are not obd either, even though they are read thru the obd port.

And at least reading the SRS codes would point you in the right direction for repair.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Bill, after re-reading your first post regarding you being hesitant I just wanted to mention that I had basically zero experience with the SRS system as well (I knew how to remove the airbag and that’s it) until I started with this great group who pointed me in the right direction of telling me what the most likely problem was (front impact sensors) and helped me figure out the OBDII scanner to accurately diagnose the problem. One YouTube video later showing me how to change the sensors and I was set. If I can do it, anyone can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne