Airbag light after car detailing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome... another issue to resolve.

After replacing my heater core (thanks to many of you for the help) I decided to pull out all the seats and carpet to vacuum out all the dirt under the padding and to also shampoo the entire carpet outside of the car. It's been a week-long project and I took my time.

Now I've got the carpet and seats back in but I'm getting lit up by airbag bag warnings. B0026, B0029, B0030, B0041, B0043, B0044, B0083, B0084 and B0092. I've checked all the connectors and wiring in the steering column and under both front seats are connected and clipped in correctly.

I wasn't having this issue before I removed the column and seats. I'm wondering if me connecting and disconnecting the battery with the seats out or removing the steering column caused the SDM an issue. Is there an initialization procedure that I need to run on the system after reconnecting airbag components?

Tomorrow I'm going to go and try to track down possible broken wires but from what I could see with a flashlight tonight it all looks fine.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... small update. It occurred to me that I hadn't cleared the codes AFTER I put everything back in. So I cleared them and now I'm down to 3 codes so I'm feeling much better. lol

B0026, B0043 and B0044 which looks like it has something to do with the clock spring. Is it common for those to go bad?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... small update. It occurred to me that I hadn't cleared the codes AFTER I put everything back in. So I cleared them and now I'm down to 3 codes so I'm feeling much better. lol

B0026, B0043 and B0044 which looks like it has something to do with the clock spring. Is it common for those to go bad?
If you are not careful when you remove the steering column, you can damage the clock spring.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I was careful but maybe I did something. :/ Would spinning the wheel all the way around a few times after it's been disconnected from the shaft cause that? I didn't feel anything caught when that happened.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol... Yup, I broke it myself. I spun the wheel around a few times when I first pulled it out. I didn't know that I shouldn't do that. Live and learn.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/34434-clockspring/
Yep! You are learning a lot. Don’t let that get you down. You are right in-line with the points I try and make with the quotes in my signature.

You are getting experience because you are not getting what you wanted.

Don’t be afraid to ask “stupid” questions as that can keep you from having to fix a “stupid” mistake.

Folks here are very willing to help so don’t be afraid to throw about a quick question about what to look out for and hints on stuff you’re going to try and do for the first time.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep! You are learning a lot. Don’t let that get you down. You are right in-line with the points I try and make with the quotes in my signature.

You are getting experience because you are not getting what you wanted.

Don’t be afraid to ask “stupid” questions as that can keep you from having to fix a “stupid” mistake.

Folks here are very willing to help so don’t be afraid to throw about a quick question about what to look out for and hints on stuff you’re going to try and do for the first time.

You're exactly right. I bought this Tahoe as a project and I'm learning something new daily. I really appreciate the support here. Sometimes I post stuff up here and then I solve it so if anyone else is having the same issue they can see how it was resolved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01