Air Suspension a must?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjfatl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For many, the biggest advantage is lowering the vehicle when parked, making entry and exit easier for some passengers.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you’re going to spend over 80k you might as well get the air suspension and every other option you can get. You’ll kick yourself and covet thy neighbors Yukon later if you don’t.

yukon-xl

Reaction score
I drove the new 2022 Yukon XL AT4 with magnetic ride and air ride suspension with factory 20” wheels and did not notice that it was much smoother/softer compared to my SLT XL with 22” wheels and NO magnetic ride, and NO air-ride. Normally 20” would ride little softer due to higher profile tires. The AT4 had higher profile tires, magnetic ride and Air-ride suspension, and it was not noticeable better. I did like the option of lowering it and the extra 2 inch higher clearance. As far as I know, there are 4 settings: lowest setting is 2inch lower than my SLT and is used for entry/exit only (can’t drive with it lowered), setting #2 is the normal setting that all Yukons are that are without air ride option. #3 setting is 1 inch higher for increased ground clearance, and can be only driven up to 45-55mph (if I remember correctly), and the 4th setting is maximum ground clearance with 2” higher than normal and can only be driven in 4WD-LOW. Maybe if I would drive it on rough road I would notice that air ride is smoother, but in the city on paved roads I did not notice the ride quality difference. The main benefit is for lower entry and for higher off road ground clearance. I do like the option for it, nice to have it. But then depending on how often it will be used and if it’s worth paying extra for it, also may be more expensive for future maintenance when it is out of the warranty. I would have gotten the AT4 if Diesel engine would be available in it. Rumors say that 2024 may have diesel AT4.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a cut and paste from my original thread about ordering a 2021 Denali:

“Regarding the Adaptive air ride suspension, I test drove one with and one without back to back. A few findings:

When I first drove the Denali without adaptive air suspension I was concerned that it rode every bit as I figured a large SUV would: a bit soft, prone to diving in the curves and overall unrefined compared to my experience driving German SUV’s over the past decade. I just figured that’s what I had to come to grips with in order to have the size and space of the Yukon. Then I drove the adaptive air ride-equipped model and it was literally night and day to me. It rode so much more composed and had a brawny athletic feel to it while braking and taking turns. It literally rode like a big, heavy, solid German SUV and I was blown away by the ride quality.

Regarding ride "feel," I would not say the ride is “softer” with the adaptive air suspension- rather more planted, responsive and athletic. Bumps and jarring pavement imperfections, as well as aggressive steering inputs and abrupt braking didn’t cause it to be unsettled in the least.”

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we had a 21 AT4 all decked out with the air ride - currently have a 23 Z71 without it.

We drive our vehicles - put 45k on the AT4 in 14 months actually had a 22 Z71 in between the 23 we now have. Agree with others that one of the biggest advantages would be if the driver or a passenger would benefit from the vehicle lowering. With two kids/dogs, accessibility probably isn't an issue. It's been a couple years, but the Z71 rides good. No complaints.

We started to not like the air ride because at every stop it would seem to want to "re-adjust" so it was constantly moving at almost every stop light. Granted we sold it before we had any air ride issues, but I could see that possibly being something to deal with in the future.

This is probably not a popular opinion, but we weren't too keen on the auto steps on the AT4. We also have two kids so everywhere we went there were four doors opening/closing, and as much as we seemed like the "A team" jumping out, we didn't all use the nonexistent sliding side door...

What would happen is the kid on my side would get in before me so the step would be in mid-cycle when I would open my door, so I'd have to wait on the step to complete the cycle - sure just a few seconds I know, but started to get annoying. We also had a step motor go out, thankfully covered under warranty.

Would have gone back with a "base" AT4 if that would've been an option to order last year in order to get away from some of the tech but ended up with a Z71 with the luxury package.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts