2024 Duramax/Air suspension malfunction?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yourmomsshlong

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE: No improvements since I got the vehicle back from the dealer. The front suspension still drops when parked. The longer it's parked, the more it deflates. I've begun measuring the distance from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well on the fender, and it drops over 3" when it sits more than one overnight period. I talked to the dealer again and sent my service rep the bulletin that was posted above (thank you). He showed it to the tech that had worked on my vehicle and said that they were ordering the parts or kit to replace and/or repair the front air shocks. Hopefully that does the trick. I'll post another update once the repair has been made.
Three inches of shrinkage is no bueno!

I have a 24 Yukon XL Ultimate Duramax that also seems to settle a bit overnight. I'd love to hear the cause, other than a pool :)

Attachments

• eb327959-adc0-46bd-afc3-7c571f74cc00_text-167230903.gif
    eb327959-adc0-46bd-afc3-7c571f74cc00_text-167230903.gif
    369 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
chrisbusnut

chrisbusnut

Reaction score
Three inches of shrinkage is no bueno!

I have a 24 Yukon XL Ultimate Duramax that also seems to settle a bit overnight. I'd love to hear the cause, other than a pool :)
I had it flat bedded into the dealer today. They now have the parts to repair it, hopefully. One thing I noticed starting this past weekend is that it would not raise when I started the engine, like it did before. Instead, it took 3 to 5 minutes of idling before it would start to raise. During that period, none of the adjustments that I tried to make manually using the button and dial next to the headlight control had any effect at all. Pretty concerning. I really hope they are able to fix it.

OP
OP
chrisbusnut

chrisbusnut

Reaction score
UPDATE #2: The air spring seal kit repair on my front shocks did not solve the problem. According to the service manager, who I had gotten involved at this point, the tech spoke with GM engineering, and it was determined that the only other possible cause would be the air suspension controller. The way it was explained to me, the air (I was told it's actually nitrogen, not regular air) wasn't leaking out of the system, it was somehow transferring from the shocks back into the air tank/reservoir, and that aside from leaking air lines, which they had checked and determined not to be leaking, there really wasn't anything else that could be causing the issue. So they ordered the air suspension controller, which reportedly was associated with the front suspension, replaced that and let the vehicle sit over the weekend. It did not lose air pressure again, causing the front suspension to lower, so they told me it was fixed, and I picked the vehicle up on Monday. I'm hoping that this is the end of the suspension issues.

One thing I've noticed is that the air shocks sit at different heights in my driveway. When measured from the ground, through the center caps of the wheels to the bottom edge of the center of the wheel well, the right side wheels are both 36.75". The back left is 38", and front left is 35.5". That doesn't really make sense to me, but maybe that's the nature of the air suspension. My driveway isn't level, but the vehicle isn't sitting level either. I'm probably overthinking here... :)

Kenmotorist

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh wow! Did the dealership recalibrate the suspension after replacing the controller? From my experience with Range Rover that fixes most uneven height problems. Kinda glad l opted for coils and 18 inch tires on my dmax Tahoe. Rides as smooth if not smoother than my Rover. Anyhow good luck and let us know if you manage to resolve.

OP
OP
chrisbusnut

chrisbusnut

Reaction score
Oh wow! Did the dealership recalibrate the suspension after replacing the controller? From my experience with Range Rover that fixes most uneven height problems. Kinda glad l opted for coils and 18 inch tires on my dmax Tahoe. Rides as smooth if not smoother than my Rover. Anyhow good luck and let us know if you manage to resolve.
That's a good question, and honestly, I'm not sure. I would hope that they would have recalibrated, however it wouldn't surprise me at all if they didn't. I'm going to keep an eye on it and if I keep noticing different heights at the wheels, then I will take it back in.

BacDoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I cycled the easy entry/exit setting on for a day, then turned it back off. I'll see if that makes a difference. The last thing I'm want to do is take the vehicle into the dealer with only 500 miles and a few weeks of ownership under my belt, but if it's what I have to do, then I'll do it. I'm also trying to figure out what's going on with the stinky exhaust that I'm experiencing sometimes. It almost smells like unburned fuel, but maybe it's in regen. I have a Sierra HD with the Duramax and have not had that issue.

I have a 2024 Yukon Denali with the Reserve Package, which includes air suspension. I've noticed that when I park overnight, the front air shocks seem to deflate, causing the vehicle to sit low in the front (but normal in the rear). I checked and do not have the setting engaged that lowers the vehicle when parked for easy entry/exit. I previously had a 2022 Tahoe Z71 that also had air suspension, and never had this issue. This Yukon has less than 500 miles on it. I'm wondering if there is an air shock leak? When I start it, the shocks inflate to normal height, and seem to operate normally. I don't hear any air escaping when I turn the engine off. Has anyone experienced this?

View attachment 418053
Can you post more pics so we can see the difference between front and back?

I would be curious to see how level your driveway is. If it’s fairly level then you definitely have a problem. My Tahoe with air suspension will do some minor adjustments if not level. I’m in pancake flat east coast Florida and I notice if truck comes to stop at incline it makes an adjustment to the angle which is pretty slight but I notice the leveling.

Also why im interested in extended warranty for stuff like this - every time I stop it goes down for easy exit but you gotta think that is a lot of up/down and computer guidance!

OP
OP
chrisbusnut

chrisbusnut

Reaction score
Can you post more pics so we can see the difference between front and back?

I would be curious to see how level your driveway is. If it’s fairly level then you definitely have a problem. My Tahoe with air suspension will do some minor adjustments if not level. I’m in pancake flat east coast Florida and I notice if truck comes to stop at incline it makes an adjustment to the angle which is pretty slight but I notice the leveling.

Also why im interested in extended warranty for stuff like this - every time I stop it goes down for easy exit but you gotta think that is a lot of up/down and computer guidance!

The problem was traced to a suspension controller module in the front suspension. It was allowing the air in the front shocks to escape back to the reservoir tank, according to the dealer. The air wasn't leaking out of the shocks. Once they replaced the module, no more issues. Our driveway is not level, however the front suspension was basically dropping to its lowest point, so definitely not normal.

IMG_5739.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar