Air Suspension a must?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctalison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I currently have a 2015 GMC Acadia. I am happy with the car but the recall has forced my hand to find a new car. I am looking at the 22 and 23 Yukons. Right now a new Yukon Denali with air suspension is around $92k, without the air suspension is around $80k to $82k. A new upgraded SLT is around $72k but of course without the air suspension. I live in Atlanta, typically driving within a 5 mile radius of my house, 2 road trips a year max and never tow anything. So, question is whether air suspension is still worth the added cost for someone like me and if not, whether the Denali is still worth it over a top of the line SLT if it is without the air suspension. Also, for anyone who has the light interior of the Denali, has it held up well? (I have 2 kids and 2 dogs)

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 2015 GMC Acadia. I am happy with the car but the recall has forced my hand to find a new car. I am looking at the 22 and 23 Yukons. Right now a new Yukon Denali with air suspension is around $92k, without the air suspension is around $80k to $82k. A new upgraded SLT is around $72k but of course without the air suspension. I live in Atlanta, typically driving within a 5 mile radius of my house, 2 road trips a year max and never tow anything. So, question is whether air suspension is still worth the added cost for someone like me and if not, whether the Denali is still worth it over a top of the line SLT if it is without the air suspension. Also, for anyone who has the light interior of the Denali, has it held up well? (I have 2 kids and 2 dogs)
I have four children and no dogs))) I drive the car all the time, the interior is bright. Yes, you have to wipe it regularly, but it’s worth it, after 40 thousand km it looks like new)
As for the air suspension. Don’t let them throw tomatoes at me))) I think that in this generation it is pointless, except for changing the ground clearance on off-road conditions. I tried a car with and without air suspension, there is practically no difference. My last car was a Mercedes GLS with air suspension, and it literally floated above the road. GM is far from Mercedes suspension))))

BDM3

Reaction score
If you could wait, I would order one with the options you want. I just picked up my Denali, I added the power assist running boards, air suspension, and panoramic sunroof and my MSRP was $81k. I did have gm supplier pricing but it still would have been about $85k. My wife has a 23’ Tahoe without air suspension. My ride definitely seems a little smoother but hers isn’t bad by any means either.

NothEastTahoe

Reaction score
I just got a denali without the air suspension, I have been happy with it. Maybe the air suspension is a bit better, but I haven't tried it. I live around a lot of crap roads in the north east, so far its been fine over bumps and whatnot with the magnetic suspension. It's better than the other vehicles we have had at least. I ordered a denali specifically because I dislike the dash set up in the lower trims and do my best not to own a car with pop up screens that don't blend with the dash. We were originally going with a lower trim with a lot of options checked, then once I realized the denali fixed my dash issues, just bit the bullet. The interior of the denali is worth it over the lower trims until they update that if you can afford it imo.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Denali gets Magnetic Ride Control (adjustable shocks) standard...the Height Adjustable air suspension is an option on top of that. The ride will be fantastic with or without the Air Suspension...mostly due to the magnetic ride control.
If you are not towing, and don't intend to, I would skip it...really is no need to have it in that case...only reason I got it is because I tow my 4500lb boat almost every weekend in the summer, and a couple week long trips a year...in this case, it is very worth it.
That said, if you desire the electronic limited slip rear differential, the only way to get that is in the premium capability package w/ active response 4WD, meanding you get the Air ride with it...

If I analyze your use case:
Live in ATL
Normal drives 5-10 miles
never tow

You definitely do not need the air suspension.
I would question why you even need 4wd...you didn't actually say you are getting 4WD...so I may be assuming here.

To meet your needs, you probably only need base 2wd denali, and whatever options you desire to add on...but can easily skip the 4wd and Air Suspension.

The one caveat would be if you or one of your regular passengers had a physical limitation where the 2"-3" drop to entry/exit height was an asset. I usually don't use this feature unless I am picking up my or my wife's 80+ year old parents...they do appreciate the lowered entry height and articulated running boards.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are the only one who can decide some of the questions you are asking and the amount of money you would be spending. Go drive the vehicles you are looking at and buy the one you like best. Good luck with your decision.

OP
OP
C

ctalison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Denali gets Magnetic Ride Control (adjustable shocks) standard...the Height Adjustable air suspension is an option on top of that. The ride will be fantastic with or without the Air Suspension...mostly due to the magnetic ride control.
If you are not towing, and don't intend to, I would skip it...really is no need to have it in that case...only reason I got it is because I tow my 4500lb boat almost every weekend in the summer, and a couple week long trips a year...in this case, it is very worth it.
That said, if you desire the electronic limited slip rear differential, the only way to get that is in the premium capability package w/ active response 4WD, meanding you get the Air ride with it...

If I analyze your use case:
Live in ATL
Normal drives 5-10 miles
never tow

You definitely do not need the air suspension.
I would question why you even need 4wd...you didn't actually say you are getting 4WD...so I may be assuming here.

To meet your needs, you probably only need base 2wd denali, and whatever options you desire to add on...but can easily skip the 4wd and Air Suspension.

The one caveat would be if you or one of your regular passengers had a physical limitation where the 2"-3" drop to entry/exit height was an asset. I usually don't use this feature unless I am picking up my or my wife's 80+ year old parents...they do appreciate the lowered entry height and articulated running boards.
Thank you! This is extremely helpful. I agree with you that the 4WD is not needed. So, the Magnetic Ride Control is not on the SLT correct?

OP
OP
C

ctalison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got a denali without the air suspension, I have been happy with it. Maybe the air suspension is a bit better, but I haven't tried it. I live around a lot of crap roads in the north east, so far its been fine over bumps and whatnot with the magnetic suspension. It's better than the other vehicles we have had at least. I ordered a denali specifically because I dislike the dash set up in the lower trims and do my best not to own a car with pop up screens that don't blend with the dash. We were originally going with a lower trim with a lot of options checked, then once I realized the denali fixed my dash issues, just bit the bullet. The interior of the denali is worth it over the lower trims until they update that if you can afford it imo.
Agree with your comment the screen. Always liked the integrated look better. Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019