Air ride or bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Axm1096

Reaction score
Whats best i need to replace my front sturts came across a conversion set

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, I love the Autoride on my Yukon, maybe the best ride on an SUV I have ever experienced. I replaced my structs when the time came (about 100K).

Having said that, if I had to choose due to budgetary constraints, I would probably delete the front Autoride and go conventional, before I gave up the Autolevel on the rear.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Due to the price I switched to regular shocks and struts. I personally didn’t notice any difference.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my new-to-me 07 Yukon XL Denali with the autoride already replaced with a conventional suspension, and I have no issues with it. One point to note is that I believe that this conversion also requires that the rear coil springs be replaced with stronger springs, as there won't be any assist from the air suspension in the rear.

OP
OP
A

Axm1096

Reaction score
I bought my new-to-me 07 Yukon XL Denali with the autoride already replaced with a conventional suspension, and I have no issues with it. One point to note is that I believe that this conversion also requires that the rear coil springs be replaced with stronger springs, as there won't be any assist from the air suspension in the rear.
so i would need to do front and rear at once how about the ride quality is that good or is it verry stiff

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i would need to do front and rear at once how about the ride quality is that good or is it verry stiff

Converting to the ZW7, smooth ride suspension, delivers just that, a nice smooth ride even on light truck all-terrain tires. Will ride better with 20 inch or smaller wheels and with some weight in the back.

OP
OP
A

Axm1096

Reaction score
Converting to the ZW7, smooth ride suspension, delivers just that, a nice smooth ride even on light truck all-terrain tires. Will ride better with 20 inch or smaller wheels and with some weight in the back.
Ok great all i would have to do is just install resistors to fool the system

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so i would need to do front and rear at once how about the ride quality is that good or is it very stiff

My ride is very smooth, though I really do not have anything else to compare it to, truck-wise, other than my 1997 Yukon SLE (RIP), which also had a smooth ride.

And, yes, you would need to install resistors to 'fool' the truck's computer.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are two systems in play here.

AutoRide and AutoLevel.

You can replace the front struts with non AutoRide shocks and resisters to spoof the AutoRide system, and still keep the AutoLevel working with the air shocks in the rear. Arnott makes a front struts that has a connection for your front AutoRide harness to plug into that has the resisters built in and keeps the system happy.

I personally would keep at least the AutoLevel functional as it has a lot of benefits.

At the end of the day, these are premium functions on premium vehicles so I’m amazed at the folks that balk at the cost of maintaining them.

I just bought OEM front struts so I can maintain the AutoRide functionality. Yeah it costs a little more, but over the course of 100K miles, it’s really not that much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14