Air ride or bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had to touch my Autoride struts yet, though I'm sure that's in my near future. I just replaced the pump when it failed, because I like having the Autolevel working when I tow.

I'd never disable the system for cost savings. I'd expect that to hurt resale, at least, if not the comfort and usability of the truck. Now if there was a technical incompatibility between Autoride, and say lowering the ride height (which I plan to do), I'd disable it. But as far as I've seen, you can keep the system activated even lowered.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Count me in as another owner who likes the factory autoride and autolevel systems. My buddy has a 2012 Suburban without the autoride system but with newer shocks, and both of mine have the autoride system. It's a noticeable difference to both of us when we drive/ride in each other's trucks. So much so, he wishes he could easily add it to his.

Mooseman93

Reaction score
Whats best i need to replace my front sturts came across a conversion set
I did the conversion to conventional both front and rear because at the time money was super tight. Maybe I'm a Neanderthal or they were already so worn out when I got the truck, but honestly I couldn't tell any difference. As others have mentioned, you will need the resistors to fool the system and some cheap manual airbags in the rear springs especially if you are towing because the stock rear springs are too soft and will compress badly without the air shocks when loaded.

ThisIsLivin

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Denali with the Magnetic ride. When they blew I switched to the Arnott. They have the built in resistor and maintain the air levelers. Best thing I ever did on this vehicle. Lifetime warranty and better ride. They use the Eilbach shock which is an excellent unit. On my vehicle if you don’t fool the computer it limits your top speed. I only have about 5k on them, but so far they are fantastic.

Reaction score
There are two systems in play here.

AutoRide and AutoLevel.

You can replace the front struts with non AutoRide shocks and resisters to spoof the AutoRide system, and still keep the AutoLevel working with the air shocks in the rear. Arnott makes a front struts that has a connection for your front AutoRide harness to plug into that has the resisters built in and keeps the system happy.

I personally would keep at least the AutoLevel functional as it has a lot of benefits.

At the end of the day, these are premium functions on premium vehicles so I’m amazed at the folks that balk at the cost of maintaining them.

I just bought OEM front struts so I can maintain the AutoRide functionality. Yeah it costs a little more, but over the course of 100K miles, it’s really not that much.
Did the OEM front struts include the spring, or was it just the strut cartridge? If just the strut, hiw hard was it to swap springs?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the OEM front struts include the spring, or was it just the strut cartridge? If just the strut, hiw hard was it to swap springs?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I got just the strut. I will be doing them this weekend so I’ll give an update then. I bought a set of heavy duty compressors a while back.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man I been thinking about this for months. I was able to find a replacement z55 suspension for just over $1000 (Monroe fronts, arnott rears) or just do a conversion for about $500. just don't know if the extra $$$ is worth it or if the z55 is that much more comfortable than a conversion.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
man I been thinking about this for months. I was able to find a replacement z55 suspension for just over $1000 (Monroe fronts, arnott rears) or just do a conversion for about $500. just don't know if the extra $$$ is worth it or if the z55 is that much more comfortable than a conversion.
I just replaced my fronts with OEM AC DELCO struts for $525 and used a stout set of spring compressors I bought for roughly $65.
The rears I replaced a couple months ago with Arnott's AS2708's for $300 after the core rebate.

For $825 in parts, I was able to maintain Auto Ride and Auto Level. Over the course of 100K miles (average life of these shocks/struts), if you average 15K a year, that is $123/year to maintain the OEM functions vs $75/year for the conversion.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my fronts with OEM AC DELCO struts for $525 and used a stout set of spring compressors I bought for roughly $65.
The rears I replaced a couple months ago with Arnott's AS2708's for $300 after the core rebate.

For $825 in parts, I was able to maintain Auto Ride and Auto Level. Over the course of 100K miles (average life of these shocks/struts), if you average 15K a year, that is $123/year to maintain the OEM functions vs $75/year for the conversion.

I wasn't seeing any of the fronts for less than $300+ each and I didn't know if it was that big of a deal mixing brands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins