Air filter oiled vs dry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hundhaus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my filter panel on my Callaway Denali which is in the stock air box with a Callaway intake tube.

What are everyone opinions on oiled K&N vs dry filter panels?

I have had KN oiled filters on most of my vehicles but am running a dry K&N Blackhawk on my Denali XL non- supercharged work truck.

Just wanted to see what you guys think.

If Tony or Jenna Bear want to jump in I would love to know what you guys run on your trucks with superchargers.

Tahoe15cc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the only thing noticeable from aftermarket intake is looks and noise.
i have a K&N and it just sounds great at WOT.

Tacky

Reaction score
The oiled K&N pass a lot more air when very clean. Airflow drops dramatically as it gets dirty. Almost nobody needs more air than the stock filter. The stock filter passes more air for a longer time. for 99.9% of the people out there, the stock filter is your best bet. If you decide to go with the oiled filter, keep it clean, and do not over oil it, you will get oil on the MAF and have to clean or replace the MAF. 

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oiled K&N pass a lot more air when very clean. Airflow drops dramatically as it gets dirty. Almost nobody needs more air than the stock filter. The stock filter passes more air for a longer time. for 99.9% of the people out there, the stock filter is your best bet. If you decide to go with the oiled filter, keep it clean, and do not over oil it, you will get oil on the MAF and have to clean or replace the MAF. 

Well written. Back when most cars were carbureted, oil air filters made a few extra HP. With today's computer controlled vehicles, the computer can adjust as the filter gets dirty. It's best to stick with OEM when it comes to plugs, filters,etc. for your standard maintenance.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the K&N for my truck so I would never need to replace the filter ever again.
I just clean it when it gets dirty.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus the rated "filtering" is when it's partially clogged.
Not freshly cleaned and oiled.

Coming from the turbo diesel world, I won't run a k&n period. Too many dusted turbos.
A quick test is to run a paper towel down the intake tube and see how dirty it gets. Or look for dust trails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2016YUKONSLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a dry k&n filter. I just take it out, use the air compressor to get stuff off and put it back in. I did it so I wouldn't have to buy another filter again.

YukonXL93619

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have a k&n filter but found it has no real benefits, the stock filter seems ok for many miles and when i run trails like the mojave trail i would not want the k&n filter in there because of all the silt and dirt getting up in the intake. had no idea how important a good filter was until my old toyota truck had dirt in the carburator and later it started blowing smoke out the back side. for the street I dont mind a k&n since I have it but on the trails I have to go back to the reliable oem one just to put my mind at ease. another issue is the maf sensor getting fouled, i feel its an unnecessary hassle having an oiled filter element on a vehicle with a maf sensor that can get messed up.

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
I read somewhere that oiled ones are for dry dusty conditions and the dry are for the opposite.

Sent from iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts