P0174

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hmclaughlin67

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Yukon XL with the 5.3. Today I got a code for P0174, or fuel trim lean bank 2. I was wondering how I possibly had a vacuum leak when I’ve checked this engine and worked on it up and down since I bought the car in September, but I remembered reading how the MAF sensor is a common cause. I went to go pull mine, and I noticed that the air restrictor that attaches to the side of my air box, right above the filter, is completely gone. This leaves a big hole in my air box and is definitely letting a bunch of dirty air into my intake hose. What are the odds this is my problem and it just made it so my MAF sensor got dirty quicker? It’s late, so I couldn’t get a good look at the sensor but I’m picking up a cleaner tomorrow morning and will update on if the sensor was disgusting or not. Temporary fix is just going to be to duct tape the hole shut and order the part as a replacement.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually, MAF misreporting would affect both banks (a single MAF sensor is used for both banks) so it's probably not the issue. It doesn't hurt to clean it. If you have a scanner with live data you can see if the MAF values jive.

My suburban LQ4 had been running very lean on both banks, 20-25%. I had cleaned the MAF sensor but didn't do anything. I noticed the reported MAF values were around 4.8 grams/second and it should be higher. I temporarily swapped the MAF from my other truck that has a 5.3 and idle MAF values are now around 6.0 gr/sec. Fuel trims dropped to like 10-15% at idle, which I'm still trying to figure out if I have a vacuum leak, because cruising they are close to 5-7%.

Another thing that can cause lean on one side is 02 sensor reporting inaccurately.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To throw another variable at you, an unbalanced fuel injector can affect one side (and sometimes both). Fix that air box (especially if the hole is after the MAF), clean the MAF and observe the MAF readings, observe O2 sensor performance and, if that doesn't help, do an injector balance test on all injectors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hmclaughlin67

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Yukon XL with the 5.3. Today I got a code for P0174, or fuel trim lean bank 2. I was wondering how I possibly had a vacuum leak when I’ve checked this engine and worked on it up and down since I bought the car in September, but I remembered reading how the MAF sensor is a common cause. I went to go pull mine, and I noticed that the air restrictor that attaches to the side of my air box, right above the filter, is completely gone. This leaves a big hole in my air box and is definitely letting a bunch of dirty air into my intake hose. What are the odds this is my problem and it just made it so my MAF sensor got dirty quicker? It’s late, so I couldn’t get a good look at the sensor but I’m picking up a cleaner tomorrow morning and will update on if the sensor was disgusting or not. Temporary fix is just going to be to duct tape the hole shut and order the part as a replacement.
Update: I pulled the MAF sensor and the whole thing was covered in a brownish/gray sludge. I hosed it down with MAF cleaner, literally the whole can, and wiped everything to the best of my ability. Will update again if it works or not, I have an 8 hour round trip tonight so plenty of room to test with.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: I pulled the MAF sensor and the whole thing was covered in a brownish/gray sludge. I hosed it down with MAF cleaner, literally the whole can, and wiped everything to the best of my ability. Will update again if it works or not, I have an 8 hour round trip tonight so plenty of room to test with.
it's very possible, those MAF's can make all kinds of wierd stuff happen everything from a-z
having a bad maf would be like drilling a hole in your skull and then go walking around like everything is normal.
and I can tell you that with the CAI i have on my 18 with just the removal of a small adapter that changes the airflow it throws a lean code, put the adapter back in, no code.

OP
OP
H

hmclaughlin67

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it's very possible, those MAF's can make all kinds of wierd stuff happen everything from a-z
having a bad maf would be like drilling a hole in your skull and then go walking around like everything is normal.
and I can tell you that with the CAI i have on my 18 with just the removal of a small adapter that changes the airflow it throws a lean code, put the adapter back in, no code.
All was well for 160 miles/2.5 hours of driving, but then the code came back up out of nowhere. Engine still sounds perfectly healthy with no lack of power. Beginning to lean towards one of the injectors being slightly clogged. May pick up some Techron later and give it a shot. For now i just cleared the code and will wait to see if it comes back for the remaining 5 hours I have to drive tonight.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All was well for 160 miles/2.5 hours of driving, but then the code came back up out of nowhere. Engine still sounds perfectly healthy with no lack of power. Beginning to lean towards one of the injectors being slightly clogged. May pick up some Techron later and give it a shot. For now i just cleared the code and will wait to see if it comes back for the remaining 5 hours I have to drive tonight.
How many miles on the vehicle?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely can be a dead or intermittently sticking injector. Injector balance test is best tool to diagnose that. Maybe pull the plugs on that bank to inspect them?

On the O2 sensors, you could swap the left and right (upstream only) to see if it's the one mis-reporting, if you don't mind crawling underneath and getting a bit dirty. And see if the problem switches with the other bank. Kinda of a pain, but that only costs some of your time. Just make sure truck is warm, not hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts