Air Compressor Mounting Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrdecat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a Viair compressor and tank setup that I'd like to finally put on after buying it 5 years ago for a different vehicle. Any suggestions on where to mount the tank and compressor? I'm planning on putting some semi truck horns behind the grill and probably put a fitting in the front bumper for airing up tires.

I did try the search...but there are a zillion posts about A/C compressors and air ride. I did find one pic of the compressor mounted behind the rear side trim, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route. Maybe I could jam in where people usually dump their second battery?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aux. battery tray would be the first place I would try to fit a compressor. Up high and dry. You can plumb air lines to front and rear bumpers, or anywhere else you would want air to be accessible. If it didn't fit the long way (in line with the fender), I would try mounting sideways. Should be doable somehow. There looks to be a fair amount of room on that bracket to secure a pump. If you install there, shoot some photos back to this thread for others to see. Good luck!

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re going with an aftermarket setup that won’t be used for air ride, I would go with the second battery tray option. Put er’ “high and dry” like @MassHoe04 mentioned. You might consider some kind of shield to protect it from any potential water, dirt, dust as well as heat from the engine (or to protect the engine in the event of a catastrophic tank/compressor failure). Hopefully the latter is not the case.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size tank? Maybe mount on a frame rail?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
There’s probably space for the tank between the frame rails behind the bumper.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few folks on here with train horns. @Kee Fuller is one that sticks in my head for some reason, but there are others. Might do a search and see what they have done.

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10