Air Bag Deployment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there anyway to tell of airbag Deployment ?
like a swab test

the car fax does not offer any information...

But The carpet has been cut .. so it's obvious the control module has been tampered with...

there was no disclose of the accident

also the logo insert badge on the airbag is heavily worn out like it has 300-400k miles on it
it look new upon buying it with a single deep scratch (the insert part)
the front passenger seat shakes heavily... when no one is sitting in it.

I know if it did have a deployment the Value of it was significantly less then the advertised price. about 3-4k less in value . since all that stuff was not professionally replaced(they would not have cut the carpet) and it would have been reported..

more then likely they bought a new insert badge and used airbag (i would hate to buy used as you don't know where it's been ? a flood? a box of confetti that pops in your face?)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the airbag module was replaced or reprogrammed then no way to tell, you can have them reprogrammed for about $45 if you take it out and send it to a shop then they runa file on it and send it back and it's like nothing ever happened, but I don't think the carpet would have to be cut, you have to remove the drivers seat to even get access to it.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the airbag module was replaced or reprogrammed then no way to tell, you can have them reprogrammed for about $45 if you take it out and send it to a shop then they runa file on it and send it back and it's like nothing ever happened, but I don't think the carpet would have to be cut, you have to remove the drivers seat to even get access to it.
look like they were desperate to get to the module and cut the carpet....

maybe someone can check the Serial number.. to see if it match the VIN
S/N: AS2530KN8008UKG8

should i try the onstar button maybe they could tell me
cause the would most definitely have a record of such, from the telemetry data..

20191112_171305.jpg 20191112_171554.jpg 20191112_171603.jpg 20191112_171522.jpg

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
look like they were desperate to get to the module and cut the carpet....

maybe someone can check the Serial number.. to see if it match the VIN
S/N: AS2530KN8008UKG8

should i try the onstar button maybe they could tell me
cause the would most definitely have a record of such, from the telemetry data..

View attachment 234149 View attachment 234150 View attachment 234151 View attachment 234152
you cant just swap the modules out a new one programmed by the dealer is $600, otherwise it is the original and was wiped/reset which is actually illegal to do but people do it anyway. It's illegal to be done because that is essentially the "black box" if someone was killed in a accident and they hit-n-run for instance all the accident data is stored on the controller, at least that is the way I have understood it to be, dealer wont do it they will only put in a new one.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some more inspection the controllers under the passenger seat were tampered with as well... missing bolts also missing a support rod under the hood on the driver side someone got lazy and forgot to reinstall it at one point.... this really sucks that means they took off the radiator support might have hidden frame damage

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if it had a Takata air bag and it deployed on someone. Did you recently buy this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC