Aftermarket Alarm Install, Will I need a Bypass if Non Remote Start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi fellas,

Looking at ordering a 2-Way Alarm System this weekend for my 06 Z71 Tahoe.
Would like to do the install myself (have done them before in my previous vehicles, although none were GM).

From what I understand with aftermarket alarm systems + remote start you will need some sort of bypass unit for the factory Passlock 2 anti-theft alarm.

Will I still need a bypass unit if I'm purchasing an Alarm/Security system only?
I'm looking at getting something from DEI either Viper or Clifford.

Any help or install advice would be much appreciated.
Best, Matt

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you can get by without. However it's much easier to use a door lock module with it. Did one on a 06 with no bypass. Years ago though

OP
OP
brandnewcolony
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!
I do believe a bypass will make the install a bit easier after doing some additional research.

The remote start part of the install has be a bit concerned, I have heard of people messing up their transmissions if its not installed properly.

I've never done a remote start install only strictly alarms. I may take this to a local shop to have it done.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I recall it's the accessory 2 that Jacks with transmissions. Been a while but I think that was the wire. I think you just have to make sure that one is hooked up, it causes problems because some cheap alarms don't have that output. Look into that.

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself then by all means pay someone, just make sure whoever you pay does it right. Even installers at shops can make mistakes

OP
OP
brandnewcolony
Reaction score
If I recall it's the accessory 2 that Jacks with transmissions. Been a while but I think that was the wire. I think you just have to make sure that one is hooked up, it causes problems because some cheap alarms don't have that output. Look into that.

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself then by all means pay someone, just make sure whoever you pay does it right. Even installers at shops can make mistakes

Thanks again man! Just realized you're in Arlington, Im over in Fort Worth.
Did you do a hid retrofit on your headlights?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richard A