Lets talk aftermarket alarms and bypass modules

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking in to installing a Viper 5806V in to the Black Pearl. There has been an increase in thefts around the neighborhood, plus remote start sounds awesome for cold mornings. I have been referencing this (https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=133000) from the12volt.com It shows a great walk through and has excellent pics for the install. My question for those of you who have done this what sensors have you installed, and what bypass module do you have installed?

Currently I have seen these bypass modules:

DEI GMDLBP
Fortin EVO-ALL
iDatalink ADS DLSL GM1

Last edited:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid to have mine installed, but I had all the sensors installed of which I am aware. The trickiest seems to be the motion sensor. We ended up having it disabled on our 2003 Sierra. You might also list the sensors you are considering; for one thing, maybe I missed one... And, for another, you might jar my memory and I might could tell you about that.

OP
OP
cooki3mnster

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I am looking at shock, tilt, and motion sensors. Along with a backup battery and a siren. Down the road I am planning on installing the Smart Start GPS module in it for extra piece of mind.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the GPS module requires a subscription. I currently have three, and will be adding a fourth. You will likely want a glass break sensor and an ignition cutout.

I also have a hood alarm. I just wish I could figure out how to add a catalytic converter sensor... And modules to roll down/up the windows.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the window modules - I wouldn't recommend them. I seldom ever used them, and they have developed problems and now are preventing me from using my windows. I won't add them in the future.

OP
OP
cooki3mnster

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up ordering the Viper 5806V along with the Fortin Evo-All module as a bypass. I went with the Fortin module because it allows for control of defroster and heated seats when the cabin temp is under a certain temp. I still need to order up a tilt sensor, and shock sensor.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up ordering the Viper 5806V along with the Fortin Evo-All module as a bypass. I went with the Fortin module because it allows for control of defroster and heated seats when the cabin temp is under a certain temp. I still need to order up a tilt sensor, and shock sensor.
Did you ever get around to installing? I’m looking into viper now for my express van. I already have the fortin remote start installed

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I paid to have mine installed, but I had all the sensors installed of which I am aware. The trickiest seems to be the motion sensor. We ended up having it disabled on our 2003 Sierra. You might also list the sensors you are considering; for one thing, maybe I missed one... And, for another, you might jar my memory and I might could tell you about that.
it's common for the motion sensor to have issue's because if anyone even walks by the vehicle it can trigger it. I have a gang of kids so it was a nope, just glass, tilt & impact, the tilt sensors are usually installed incorrectly because no one ever reads the directions which state the sensor must be installed flat and level with the vehicle.
most installers I have worked with use the directed dball, but I think a idatalink add-on would be a good choice as well on paper they seem to have a lot of integration options.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can second the vote against motion sensors. False alarms are worse than no alarm. For some reason, the one on my daughter's Sierra was a whiny *****; the one on my Silverado almost never had an issue. The on on my wife's Suburban we simply avoided installing one. YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2