AFM yay or nay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rathburn07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2012 Yukon XL Denali 6.2L - Bought brand new and last year 2018 it was in the shop 1st for the oil pressure sensor, then immediately the AFM issue. GM covered most of the cost ($860 out of my pocket) as I was over the warranty time frame but still under the 100K mark by 7k or so. It was really nice of them to tell me the driver side engine mount was bad after they had the engine put back together.....Classic BS! Anyway 3-4 months after that we are out of town on a quick trip to the beach and the lifter crap happens again, ruins my short weekend with the kids as I had to work out a rental, and a tow back to another GM dealer. It was fixed again under warranty but extremely inconvenient being it was still 2hrs away from my home after a 2hr tow and a $400 rental for a week. I had done the research on the AFM deletion mod by Range but when the GM service manager told me about it I knew it was something I should go ahead with. Bought it direct form Range, it has helped thus far (109,000) and the throttle response is so much better. I watch my oil pressure like a hawk as it heats up it likes to drop slightly below 20 at idle. We flew out of Charlotte and were gone a week when it was 100 degrees each day (battery strain) and I left the Range plugged in. No issue at all when I returned as far as battery drain. As of now I have 500 other little issues (door handles, motor mount, volume button not working, fan and other buttons wearing off....you know all the "known issues" GM avoids responsibility for. Own a 2016 Buck Regal Tii still under warranty and it is having plenty of "known issues" but the dealers seem to be pro's and not seeing or noticing what I do. Always been a GM fan and love their styling, unfortunately they are building garbage and not helping their customers enough. This may the last of the GM family for me and I may be moving over to Toyota. Sad but quality in major components is high on most peoples list when buying SUV's that cost almost as much as a nice house these days. I say go with Range until you can't take the GM crap any longer.

No Tyme

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I run a Range plug in device and I used it in my 14 Silverado. I now use it in my 13 Avalanche and will keep using it as long as my AV will run. I recommend it!

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At what mileage do the AFM problems usually start showing up? Am I being proactive or just paranoid by putting a Range devise on a 07 with 69,000 miles on it?
90,200 still holding up good No oil Consumption 3800 miles into the oil change..

“Take it for a test drive and you’ll agree: zagreb ebnom zlotdik diev.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound right for that to be in V4 mode at 20 MPH.
it will stay in V4
tell 0MPH sometimes with the hybrid or it "autostops" perfectly normal

35% max engine load(seems the highest it will be in v4) or less most likely to have it in V4 mode 25-30% is where is most likely to activate V4 mode

the HIGHEST RPM i have seen V4 mode is at 1900 rpm or 80MPH . I have not gone higher then that speed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9