AFM yay or nay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PPVHOE12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, quick question for anyone running a AFM disabler on their rig. I have done a decent amount of research but before I pull the trigger on one I would like to hear from anyone who is either super happy with or wish they would have never put it in opinions. I just got my first Ppv Tahoe 2012 with 92k. Runs like a top and want her to last as long as possible and from what I have read a very common issue is the afm collapsing lifters and oil consumption. Thanks a ton in advance!

Last edited:

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
Delete the AFM and get your oil deflector and updated valve cover if yours doesn’t already have it.

NAY

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nay, the 2007-2013 vehicles are the years where AFM was a huge issue. You can just disable it with a tune, or do the full DOD delete kit, still would need it disabled with tune as well.

OP
OP
P

PPVHOE12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would you guys recommend that afm disabler from range for the time being?

OP
OP
P

PPVHOE12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After reading my orig post I was confused myself... what I meant to ask is who ever is running the AFM disabler from range technologies do you like it or not. Sorry for the confusion

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're doing yourself a favor being concerned with it BEFORE it exhibits issues (ticking, usually). Disabling it with the Range is the minimal I'd do. If you're honestly considering tuning it, put the money you'd spend on the Range toward a tune and you can have AFM disabled in the tune as well as all the other wonderful things a tune brings.

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At what mileage do the AFM problems usually start showing up? Am I being proactive or just paranoid by putting a Range devise on a 07 with 69,000 miles on it?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At what mileage do the AFM problems usually start showing up? Am I being proactive or just paranoid by putting a Range devise on a 07 with 69,000 miles on it?

I've heard of them failing with mileages as low as the 40Ks but it's common to see issues and failures reported around the 100K-150K range. You're definitely being proactive, not paranoid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269