AFM FOR MY 2015 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AWSMBLU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far so good no issues.

Attachments

• IMG_8273.jpeg
    IMG_8273.jpeg
    584.4 KB · Views: 14

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! I've had good luck with mine for 4 years and 95k so far.

J5races

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So far so good no issues.
I have a cheap jungle site knock off I was using on my 2018 before the Whipple tune was loaded. If anyone needs it do me. Just cover shipping and you can have it. It cost $99

momofx

Reaction score
I have a cheap jungle site knock off I was using on my 2018 before the Whipple tune was loaded. If anyone needs it do me. Just cover shipping and you can have it. It cost $99
Say what lol

I've used the Diablosport i3 on mine. So far so good! Some people will say oh it can still mess up and you HAVE TO do the actual conversion with lifters, cam, valley plate etc. I spoke to a few tuners and they said not one they did via tuning has ever come back with the AFM issue.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want it

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used the Diablosport i3 on mine. So far so good! Some people will say oh it can still mess up and you HAVE TO do the actual conversion with lifters, cam, valley plate etc. I spoke to a few tuners and they said not one they did via tuning has ever come back with the AFM issue.

You will hear many different experiences from different owners.

Is it electrical or mechanical?

The PCM is set up or "tuned" from the factory settings to allow the AFM system to function based a certain set of parameters and inputs experienced while driving to allow the PCM to decide when its ok to run on less than all 8 cylinders, then shutting down half of them and going into 4 cylinder mode to increase gas mileage. Have there been any owners you've heard of saying "Man somethings wrong with my AFM system; It always stays in V8 mode and never goes into 4 cylinder mode?" (or visa versa). How many owners are going to the dealership service department reporting issues of the AFM system not activating or functioning? None that I am aware of... Hell I bet over 60% of the owners don't even know it's happening and just drive around. The point is; Electronically the system works and functions as it should.

What is the weakness and failure of the AFM system? Every failure is always related to the AFM lifters and the VLOM which are both mechanical parts in the engine.

Simply deactivating the AFM system electronically via a tune or Range type device is not a long-term permanent solution. Is it better than doing nothing? Yes. For some owners maybe it is all that is needed, and for other's it's not. Not everyone own's their vehicles for 100K+ miles. There are other variables too such as oil change intervals and driving habits that can contribute to varying individual experiences. It really is a dice roll.

My personal experience in my '15 Yukon XL Denali with 6.2 L86 and 8 speed transmission:
Purchased CPO with 24K miles
Installed Range AFM dissabler device at 32K miles.
Oil changed every 3-4K miles with Mobile 1 or Amsoil Signature.
Had a failed AFM lifter at 78K miles.

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turned off AFM on my 2018 Yukon 6.2L 10 speed 30K miles ago & at 87K so far. Mobil 1 oil changes every 5K.
My Son's 2015 Yukon 6.2L 6 speed had AFM failure at 110K which is not a cheap fix.

I get better mileage with AFM turned off than when it was turned on. Last 400+ mile road trip I avg 25.9mpg which in pretty normal +/- 2mpg. Last 30K with AFM off I'm at 20.2mpg with a fair amount of running idle in there.

jaxscuby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Turned off AFM on my 2018 Yukon 6.2L 10 speed 30K miles ago & at 87K so far. Mobil 1 oil changes every 5K.
My Son's 2015 Yukon 6.2L 6 speed had AFM failure at 110K which is not a cheap fix.

I get better mileage with AFM turned off than when it was turned on. Last 400+ mile road trip I avg 25.9mpg which in pretty normal +/- 2mpg. Last 30K with AFM off I'm at 20.2mpg with a fair amount of running idle in there.

The last 400+ mile trip..with AFM off?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989