AFM Disabler - Worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an old thread. Any prospective BB customers should be aware that the lifetime of free re-tunes is no longer included in the price as of fall 2021. I believe it is limited to one year after purchase now.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an old thread. Any prospective BB customers should be aware that the lifetime of free re-tunes is no longer included in the price as of fall 2021. I believe it is limited to one year after purchase now.
Which is why I will be getting my tune for my new ride elsewhere. Also, they increased the cost of a single tune 23% over what I paid for my last one.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is why I will be getting my tune for my new ride elsewhere. Also, they increased the cost of a single tune 23% over what I paid for my last one.
I'm okay with this change, actually. I suspect Justin was learning the hard way that there was no way for him to shut off the pipeline of new demand for free tune updates as people changed this or that on their rigs over years of ownership. That cascaded to long waits (3+ weeks) for tunes. More importantly though, the value of having a guy who knows these trucks inside and out, and has tuned literally thousands of them, has enormous value to me. It may not hold that same value to everyone, and there's nothing wrong with that. I still think it's a fair price for a professional, bespoke tune.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I just spoke to @BlackBearPerf about some tuning, retuning and whatnot. I asked them to chime in again to clarify their position in regards to the retune question and charges. They indicated they are being more than lenient on how much they are charging. Plus, they said they were finally getting through the flood of retunes brought on by the stimulus money and covid.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a business once. The product we offered was the highest quality product of its kind in the marketplace. It cost us a lot to develop the product and cost a lot to build it because we could not compromise on any of the components and testing that went into it.

It took me a long time to figure out that not everyone was a target customer, that only prospects that could appreciate what we were selling and actually had the need for the product at our level, were ones that made sense to try and acquire as customers.

In the end, I would carry business cards of some of my competitors whose offerings, while inferior in many ways to our products, still might fit into a given prospects profile of need. When I ran into a prospect that asked for discounts and free stuff thrown in to entice them to purchase our product, I would produce the business card of the competitor I felt might fit their needs best at the price point they were willing to pay.

At that point our business really started to flourish, profits improved, which allowed us to put more into R&D, customer satisfaction only got better and better.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a business once. The product we offered was the highest quality product of its kind in the marketplace. It cost us a lot to develop the product and cost a lot to build it because we could not compromise on any of the components and testing that went into it.

It took me a long time to figure out that not everyone was a target customer, that only prospects that could appreciate what we were selling and actually had the need for the product at our level, were ones that made sense to try and acquire as customers.

In the end, I would carry business cards of some of my competitors whose offerings, while inferior in many ways to our products, still might fit into a given prospects profile of need. When I ran into a prospect that asked for discounts and free stuff thrown in to entice them to purchase our product, I would produce the business card of the competitor I felt might fit their needs best at the price point they were willing to pay.

At that point our business really started to flourish, profits improved, which allowed us to put more into R&D, customer satisfaction only got better and better.
Amen. I'd much rather compete on value than price. And as I know we have a similar industry background, I know the wisdom of your words first-hand :)

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is customer satisfaction and there is customer loyalty. Satisfied customers pay the price, but are always open to cheaper or different deals because they have not been made to feel loyal. Loyal customers may even pay more than the competition, but they are loyal because the company values their business and treats them better than anyone else would. I would have been ok with the idea of not giving new customers free tunes for life, or capping free tunes at 6,7,8 etc tunes. The eye opener for me was the 23% price increase since my last tune purchase. Maybe I’m old school, but I have never received at 23% raise for my products. My new tune should be installed this week and I’m hopeful it’s satisfactory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo