AFM Disabler - Worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 with 265k on it and have had a Range AFM device plugged in for about the last 50k. Well, it started acting up and I sent it in to Range to take them up on the offer to update firmware free.

As it worked out they told me today that the unit is messed up to the point it cannot be updated. In addition, they said they wouldn't update it even if it wasn't toast because I didn't buy it from an authorized dealer or them. I bought it from one of the guys on the forum here. Keep that in mind if your going to send yours in for the update.

They want $199 for a new one and I am trying to decide if I want to go that route or try something else like a tune, realizing the tune will be considerably more than $199. I never noticed a big difference in how the truck ran except it consumed less oil between changes.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Tim

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get an AFM disable-only tune for $50 plus shipping of your PCM. I found this info a few months ago but can't find it now. I'll post a link if I find it again.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually you can pick up used umarried canned tuner off ebay for under $199 and get the same functionality and more

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i wouldnt go for one at 200bux, you're nearly into decent little street tune price. i thought they were like $75 which just for the ease of use is about what id expect to pay.

if anyone in south florida wants me to hit theres up let me know for $200 :lol: disabling takes about 10 minutes but i'd need to still pay for a few vin licenses before im into unlimited

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did get in touch with Brendan at the 1LT swap and his $50 solution sounds like a really good alternative to Range's $199.

I'll update after having it in operations for awhile.

Thanks,
Tim

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid 75 for a local shop to disable AFM. I definitely wouldnt spend 200 on just an AFM delete. Either get AFM deleted as cheap as possible or get a real tune like Black Bear. Anything in between is a waste IMO.