Advice on rust + install found on 2010 Tahoe underside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

kalig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would sell wheels and tires for 20x12/33 or 22x12/33. Ditch bull bar, remove window vents, steps, and door moldings. I think the silver bumper center could pull off with some black machined wheels. Could swap chrome grille for a black one. Get 1.25" wheel spacers to even track width. Then retrofit the headlights and get xb led fogs. It will definitely pull the look off then!

Thanks for the input!

Agreed on the vents/moldings/steps/grill. Although I do need some kind of steps for dealing with anything on the roof rack (I'm small, I can't see over my stock 03 as it is, this truck will dwarf me). I've seen some pics on here of some nice ones I could put on. I don't like chrome so the bar has to go, but I'm thinking of getting a black one for it. But this stuff will come later. My first order of business is dealing with any replacement/rebuilds needed on the lift adn new tires/wheels.

Some questions:

Why 33 over 35 tires? Also, going to 33s will greatly reduce the rim-tire ratio more (which I kind thought was too low as is). How do you think any off road capabilities would be with a 20x12/33 vs 20/35 or even 17/33?

I assume the spacers will just make the wheels stick out a bit to help offset the height? If so, why 1.25" vs any other sizes? Is there some math in here I need to do in order to get to the appropriate spacer size?

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Thanks for the input!

Agreed on the vents/moldings/steps/grill. Although I do need some kind of steps for dealing with anything on the roof rack (I'm small, I can't see over my stock 03 as it is, this truck will dwarf me). I've seen some pics on here of some nice ones I could put on. I don't like chrome so the bar has to go, but I'm thinking of getting a black one for it. But this stuff will come later. My first order of business is dealing with any replacement/rebuilds needed on the lift adn new tires/wheels.

Some questions:

Why 33 over 35 tires? Also, going to 33s will greatly reduce the rim-tire ratio more (which I kind thought was too low as is). How do you think any off road capabilities would be with a 20x12/33 vs 20/35 or even 17/33?

I assume the spacers will just make the wheels stick out a bit to help offset the height? If so, why 1.25" vs any other sizes? Is there some math in here I need to do in order to get to the appropriate spacer size?

Well a lot goes into the tire size and spacer. I’m assuming the hoe has stock gearing which is 3.42 and stock size is 31.7” weighing 43 lbs. Say you run a 35” that measures 34.7” and weighs 76 lbs. On the stock gearing that will kill all power and gas mileage. Say you run a 33” that measures 32.7-33.5” depending on size brand and roughly weigh 63 lbs. The size is closer to stock and weight is less. This equals more power to the ground. Most people run 35s on 6” lift but never gear it. Judging by the picture it appears to be 20x9 with 35s. As far as off road capabilities the tallest tire that the motor can put power down is best. I prefer a big wide look which is what you will get with a 20x12/33 setup. Pure off-road would be 18x9/35-36. However for maximum travel you will need to stay 33” because of GM square fenders.

Spacers are simple. The front is 1/4” wider than rear stock and the kit increase front width by 1” each side. That’s why a 1.25” is perfect. Most people choose 1.5” but mainly for stock wheels to not trim stud ends. Both sizes you need to trim stud ends but not threads for aftermarket wheels.

For appearance I wouldn’t put any bar on front. Get amp steps. Yes they cost a lot but offer the best option. Drop the furthest and hide out of the way against the body.

OP
OP
K

kalig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you for such a detailed post. I have some homework to do!

OP
OP
K

kalig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh yes, sorry, the tires are 35x12.50R20. So big heavy ass tires for sure.

I looked up the wheels, they are BMF Novakanes which seem to be really good wheels. So possibly powder coating instead of replacing is an option.

Tires are so damn expensive that I might stick with these for a while and then look to replace some down the road.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Oh yes, sorry, the tires are 35x12.50R20. So big heavy ass tires for sure.

I looked up the wheels, they are BMF Novakanes which seem to be really good wheels. So possibly powder coating instead of replacing is an option.

Tires are so damn expensive that I might stick with these for a while and then look to replace some down the road.

Those tires are super heavy weighing in at 78.44 lbs each. Can you get a close up pic of those novakanes? Do NOT powder them! Those are a PVD chrome powder and they quit making that wheel finish. You will be able to get good money for them if the condition is right. Now knowing the wheel it might be a x10 but doesn't seem like an aggressive offset though. I would get the nitto ridge for the replacement tire.

OP
OP
K

kalig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not near the truck now and going to look at it (and likely buy it) on Saturday.

Here's a close up from a video I got from the seller:
https://imgur.com/a/8RbyF

I don't think the condition is great. Looks pretty pitted to me. What do you think?
If I could sell them and the tires and get good cash that'd be great to fund new wheels/tires. But I'd hate to get new wheels/tires and then not be able to sell these for much. :(

I'll look into Nitto Ridge.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Yeah look pretty pitted but those wheels are popular so maybe someone would get them chromed again. Tires look decent tread so that setup would bring $1000-1200 easy. New setup will likely cost $3000 for good stuff. Make money off selling the bar and vents

OP
OP
K

kalig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah that was my thinking, $1k to sell the wheels/tires seem like a waste vs just getting the wheels powder coated and running the tires until new tred is needed and then maybe getting a new setup then.

Also could look into re-gearing. From what I've read that should be about $900. Which sounds like it would be good to do even if I went to 33 Nitto Ridges due to the increased weight and slight diameter increase.

I'm so indecisive about this kind of stuff. :)

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Dang that's a lot of surface rust. How much time do you want to put into it and what's the sale price?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989